B.E/ B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering is a course that focuses on studying the various aspects of Mechanical engineering and creating engineers to work in various fields like automobile, aeronautics. Chemical, electronics, construction, petroleum, power, textile, etc. It is a very famous course after 12th. During this course, a student learns to solve problems in a technical way. This article focuses on explaining the course Mechanical Engineering: the details like job of mechanical engineer, Best Institutes that offering courses on Mechanical Engineering, and salary of a Mechanical Engineer.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Mechanical Engineering
The engineering that deals with the principles of engineering, Physics, Material science, maintenance and manufacturing of mechanical systems is called Mechanical Engineering. The course of mechanical engineering is included with the subjects such as Mechanics, Kinematics, Thermodynamics, Materials Science, and Combustion Engines. The service of a Mechanical Engineer is needed in almost all industries such as IT, Telecommunication, oil and gas, transportation and Chemical Industries.
It is believed that the world realize the importance of the Mechanical Engineer Since after the 19th century i.e. when the industrial revolution came into started in the European Countries. Today Mechanical engineers are working with the different sectors such as Aeronautical, Chemical, shipping and more.
B.Tech/ B.E. in Mechanical Engineering – Course Overview
The overview of the course is explained in the table below. BE/BTECH in Mechanical engineering is one of the most preferred courses after 12th.
|Course Level||Undergraduate Bachelors|
|Full Form||Bachelor in Engineering in Mechanical Engineering|
|Duration of the examination||4 years|
|Basis of Admission||Merit Based Admission and Entrance Exam Based|
|Type of examination||Semester Based|
|Qualifying examination||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Course Fee||Rs. 20000/- – Rs. 2 lakh per annum|
|Average Salary Offered the course||Rs. 5 to 10 lacs|
|Top companies||Siemens, Tata Motors, L&T, Toshiba, Jacobs, GE Global Research, Reliance Industries, Indian oil|
|Job Positions||Service Engineers, Mechanical Engineer, Consultant, Instructional Designer, etc.|
Eligibility Criteria for B.E/ B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering Admission 2022
Only those candidates will be allowed to take admission into Mechanical Engineering who will fulfill the required eligibility criteria. The common eligibility criteria for admission to different courses are as follows.
- The candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board.
- Aspirants should have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics subjects in class 12th.
- It is also necessary for the candidates to score a minimum of 60% marks in 12th class. Apart from this, authorities also provide relaxation to the candidates of reserved candidates.
- Those aspirants who possess a 3 year diploma in the relevant field from a recognized university are also eligible to apply for lateral entry admission.
Common Entrance Exam for Admission to B.E./ B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering
Although it is possible to get admission based on class 10+2 merit list, most of the colleges will offer admission on the basis of entrance exams. A few colleges may also conduct interviews after the entrance exam in order to further shortlist the candidates. Some of the most common entrance examinations are mentioned below.
- JEE Main: It is one of the national level engineering entrance exams 2022. This is the most popular engineering entrance examination conducted in India by the national testing agency (NTA). This exam opens a gateway for admission to top engineering like IIT, NITs etc. Many private institutes also offer admission based on the JEE Main examination.
- BITSAT: BITSAT is also a national level entrance examination organized by BITS. This examination is conducted to select candidates for admission to various BITS across India. The eligible candidates are selected after proper evaluation of the candidate’s performance in the entrance examination, group discussion, and personal interview.
- VITEEE: This entrance exam is conducted to select the candidates for admission to VIT Vellore, VIT Chennai, VIT – AP, and VIT – Bhopal. In this entrance examination, candidates have to answer 125 multiple choice objective type questions. The questions will be asked from Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, and Aptitude subjects.
- UPSEE: In case you are looking to get admission into Mechanical engineering at a college affiliated to AKTU then you need to take the UPSEE examination. Through this entrance examination, you can get admission into more than 500 engineering colleges in the state of UP.
- WBJEE: WBJEE stands for West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination. This exam is conducted by West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB). Through this exam, a candidate can get admission to admission into different engineering colleges situated in the state of West Bengal.
Information about various Mechanical Engineering Entrance examination are given in the table below.
|Name of the examination||Mode of examination|
|JEE Main||Online (computer based test)|
|BITSAT||Online (computer based test)|
|SRMJEEE||Online (computer based test)|
|KIITEE||Online (computer based test)|
|MHT CET||Online (computer based test)|
|UPSEE||Online (computer based test)|
|WBJEE||Online (computer based test)|
|COMEDK||Online (computer based test)|
|VITEEE||Online (computer based test)|
|JEE Advanced||Online (computer based test)|
How to prepare for the Mechanical Engineering Entrance Examination?
Given below are some tips that candidates may follow in order to crack the entrance examinations.
- First of all, you need to go through the exam pattern and syllabus and understand the same.
- Develop a habit of studying on a regular basis. Remember, regular studies are the key to success.
- Try to solve some previous year question paper to see how your preparations are going.
- Focus on increasing your accuracy as well as speed.
- You may also take help from the study materials and videos available online.
Job Opportunities after Mechanical Engineering
There are different job opportunities available after completing Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical Engineers can explore the career opportunities in various private and public sector as
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Material Engineers
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians
- Nuclear Engineers
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Petroleum Engineers
- Physicists and Astronomers
- Sales Engineers, etc.
Expected Salary in Mechanical Engineering
The salary of a Mechanical engineer will depend on what projects he/she handling and type of the industry he/she is working for. For instance, a Mechanical Engineer working in the Oil and Gas Industry will get a good salary than working with the shipping Industry. In India, the average home take salary of Mechanical Engineer is Rs. 3,000,000 P.A. The admissions of the candidates are based on the candidate’s experience in the concerned field.
Mechanical Engineering Institutes in India
There are lots of educational institutions in India to train the candidate to a Mechanical Engineer. The engineering degrees like B.Tech or B.E or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering are offered by various institutes across the country. Apart from this, there are few more institutions like Industrial Training Institute (ITIs), All India Trade Test (AITT), and National Council of Vocational Training (NCVT) are also offering various skill development programmes.
The leading autonomous educational institutions like IIT, NIT, IIITs, CFTIs etc. are offering admissions to the mechanical engineering on the basis of candidates’ performance in JEE Main & JEE Advanced. Below, we’re detailing about the info of some universities/Institutes in India Offering Mechanical Engineering Course.
Best Mechanical Engineering Colleges in India
A list of top mechanical engineering colleges in India is given below.
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS – [IITM], CHENNAI
- IIT BOMBAY – INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, MUMBAI
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], HYDERABAD
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, ANNA UNIVERSITY – [CEG], CHENNAI
- BHARATH UNIVERSITY – BHARATH INSTITUTE OF HIGHER EDUCATION AND RESEARCH – [BIHER], CHENNAI
- NIT TRICHY, TIRUCHIRAPPALLI
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT BHU], VARANASI
- INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY – [ICT], MUMBAI
- B.S. ABDUR RAHMAN CRESCENT INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY – [BSAU], CHENNAI
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], INDORE
- JADAVPUR UNIVERSITY – [JU], KOLKATA
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], DHANBAD
- KALASALINGAM ACADEMY OF RESEARCH AND EDUCATION, KRISHNANKOVIL
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], ROURKELA
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], BHUBANESWAR
- VELLORE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [VIT UNIVERSITY], VELLORE
- SRM INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY RAMAPURAM CAMPUS, CHENNAI
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – [IIEST] SHIBPUR, HOWRAH
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], MANDI
- National Institute of Technology – [NITK],
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], PATNA
- THAPAR INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY – [THAPAR], PATIALA
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], GANDHI NAGAR
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: I have studied Biology instead of Mathematics at class 12th level. Am I eligible for admission?
Answer: No, candidates must have passed the 10+2 examination with Mathematics in order to get admission.
Question – 2: How can I get admission into B. Tech. at IITs?
Answer: In order to get admission into B. Technology at IITs, candidates have to clear both JEE Main and JEE Advanced examination.
Question – 3: What is the duration of B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering course?
Answer: The duration of the B.Tech course is 4 years.
Question – 4: Can I get admission into B. Tech Mechanical Engineering based on 10+2 merit?
Answer: Yes, there are many engineering colleges which offer admission based on class 10+2 merit only.
Share your concern through the comment box- we are here to help.