Candidates aspiring to pursue their master’s degree in engineering, technology, pharmacy, etc from IITs and other reputed colleges can apply for GATE 2024. Application form for the test is expected to release in the month of August 2023 and the exam is to be held in February 2024. Those who are pursuing or have completed their bachelor’s degree or equivalent program in a relevant field can apply for the test. Complete details related to GATE 2024 such as eligibility criteria, exam pattern, applicable process, etc can be found in this article.
Table of Contents
GATE 2024 Important Dates
The table below provides the tentative dates related to GATE 2024. Actual dates will be updated after their release by the officials.
|Availability of online application form||Last week of August 2023|
|Last date for application form submission||Last week of September 2023|
|Last date for application form submission with a late fee of Rs. 500/-||2nd week of October 2023|
|Last date to make changes in the application form (selected sections only)||2nd week of November 2023|
|Release of GATE admit cards||1st week of January 2024|
|Date of aptitude test||1st & 2nd week of February 2024|
|Release of candidates’ response||3rd week of February 2024|
|Availability of answer key||4th week of February 2024|
|Submission of challenge on answer key||4th week of February 2024|
|Declaration of result||3rd week of March 2024|
|Availability of scorecard||4th week of March 2024|
Eligibility Criteria for GATE 2024
Check out the course-wise eligibility criteria for appearing in GATE 2024:
- BE/ B.Tech/ B.Pharm: Students who have cleared or are in 3rd or final year of BE/ B.Tech/ B.Pharm (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc/ Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) are eligible.
- B.Arch: Those who have cleared or are in 3rd or final year of B.Arch (5-year course)/ Naval Architecture (4-year course)/ B.Planning (4-year course) can apply.
- B.Sc (Research)/ BS: Students should have cleared or be in 3rd or final year of a Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2).
- Pharm.D. (after 10+2): Students who have cleared or are in 3rd or above years of 6 years degree program, consisting of internship or residency training, during the third year onward can only apply.
- MBBS/ BDS/ B.V.Sc: Degree holders of MBBS/ BDS/ B.V.Sc and those who are in the 5th or higher semester of such program are eligible.
- M.Sc/ MA/ MCA or equivalent: Students who have cleared or are in 1st or above years of Master’s degree in any branch of Arts/ Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent can apply.
- Integrated ME/ M.Tech (Post B.Sc.): Students who have cleared or are in 1st or above years of Post B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (4-year program) can apply.
- Integrated ME/ M.Tech/ M.Pharm or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2): Students should have cleared or be in 3rd or above year of Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/ Technology (5-year program).
- B.Sc/ BA/ B.Com: Those who have cleared or are in 3rd or final year of a Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Science/ Arts/ Commerce (3-year program) can apply.
- Integrated M.Sc/ Integrated BS/ MS: Students who have cleared or are in 3rd or higher year of the Integrated M.Sc or 5-year integrated BS-MS program are eligible.
- Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to BE/ B.Tech/ B.Arch): Applicants should have completed Section A or equivalent professional courses such as BE/ B.Tech/ B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MoE/ UPSC/ AICTE.
- B.Sc (Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry): Those who have cleared or are in 3rd or final year of any 4-year graduate program are eligible.
- Application forms for GATE 2024 can be submitted online via the website of the organizing institute.
- A candidate should first register by providing their full name, a valid e-mail address, mobile number and by choosing a password.
- Candidates then need to provide their basic personal and educational details like name, date of birth, qualifying exam info, etc in the form.
- The photograph, signature, category, and/ or Dyslexic certificate, wherever applicable, must be uploaded in the form.
- Candidates must enter a valid photo identity (ID) number (Aadhaar, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, and Driving License) in the form.
- The choice of GATE paper and exam center should also be provided in the application form.
- Once all the details are entered correctly, the candidates can submit the form with the prescribed application fee.
- Payment of the application fee can be done via net banking/ debit card/ credit card/ UPI/ wallet.
- Application fee for GATE is expected to be Rs. 1700/- (Rs. 850/- for Female/ SC/ ST/ PwD category candidates).
- For Indian nationals appearing at international centers, the fee will be US$ 100 (for Dhaka and Kathmandu) or US$ 200 (for Dubai and Singapore).
GATE Exam Pattern 2024
A basic overview of the GATE 2024 exam pattern is provided below.
Exam Mode: Computer-Based Test (CBT)
Exam Duration: 3 hours
Sections: General Aptitude (GA) & Candidate’s Selected Subject
Types of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
Number of Questions: 65 (10 GA + 55 Subject)
Total Marks: 100
Distribution of Marks (except AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH, and XL):
General Aptitude: 15 Marks
Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks
Subject Questions: 72 Marks
Distribution of Marks (AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH, and XL)
General Aptitude: 15 Marks
Subject Questions: 85 Marks
Marking Scheme: Questions will carry 1 mark and 2 marks
Negative Marking: 1/3rd of allotted marks will be deducted for a wrong answer in MCQ, no negative marking in MSQ and NAT
|Paper||General Aptitude Marks||Subject Marks|
|AG, AE, BT, BM, CS, CY, CE, CH, ES, EY, EC, EE, IN, MN, MT, MA, ME, NM, PE, PI, PH, ST, TF||15||85|
|AR (B1: Architecture or B2: Planning)||15||60 (Part A) + 25 (Part B1/ B2)|
|GE (B1: Surveying & Mapping or B2: Image Processing & Analysis)||15||55 (Part A) + 30 (Part B1/ B2)|
|GG||15||25 (Part A) + 60 (Part B)|
|XE||15||15 (Section A) + 2 x 35 (Any 2 sections)|
|XH||15||25 (Section B1) + 60 (Any 1 section)|
|XL||15||25 (Section P) + (2 x 30) (Any 2 sections)|
The syllabus for each of the papers will be released on the official GATE website.
GATE 2024 Admit Card
- Admit cards can be downloaded from the GATE website from the first week of January onward.
- Candidates must bring a printout of the downloaded admit card to the exam center.
- The original and valid photo Identity Document specified during the filling up of the online application is also required.
- Candidate’s photograph and signature images on the admit card must be clear and legible.
Answer Key & Result
- After the exam, candidates’ responses will be available in their accounts on the GATE website. Answer keys will also be displayed.
- Candidates may submit their challenge on the answer keys during a given time period against a payment.
- Evaluation of examination papers will be finalized and GATE results will be announced.
- Candidates who clear the test can download their score card from their accounts.
Paper Codes for GATE 2024
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Biomedical Engineering||BM||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering||NM|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Physics||PH|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Statistics||ST|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Environmental Science & Engineering||ES||Engineering Sciences||XE|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Humanities & Social Sciences||XH|
|Geomatics Engineering||GE||Life Sciences||XL|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
No. The two papers option may be selected in a single form only. The fee will be applicable depending on the number of papers.
You can check the status of your application by logging into the GATE website from time to time.