Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2022) examination is conducted by one of the participating IITs or IISc and this year it is being conducted by IIT Kharagpur. The aim of this examination is to shortlist the candidates for admission to various Post-graduation courses in the field of Science and Technology. A large number of organizations also recruit candidates on the basis of their GATE score. Those candidates who want to apply for GATE 2022 need to fill and submit the online application form before the last date. In this article, we are going to provide all the necessary details related to the GATE exam 2022.
What’s new? GATE 2022 application form is available till 30th September 2021. Check info
Due to technical problems, the GATE 2022 Application deadline has been extended upto 28th September, 2021 with No Additional Fees.
Candidates can apply for online GATE 2022 from
30th August 2021 2nd September 2021.
GATE 2022 information bulletin has been released now. The application form is releasing on 30th August 2021.
GATE 2022 is scheduled to be held on 5th, 6th, 12th and 13th February 2022.
IIT Kharagpur is the organizing institute for GATE 2022. There are two new papers have been added- naval architecture and marine engineering and geomatics engineering.
GATE 2022 Important Dates
The official schedule related to the GATE 2022 is given below.
|Releasing of official notification||Out|
|Availability of official information brochure||Available|
|Starting of online application form submission|
|Last date to submit the application form||30th September 2021|
|Availability of correction window||Till 1st November 2021|
|Registration reopens (for J&K candidates only)||Last week of October 2021 to 2nd week of November 2021|
|Releasing of mock test||2nd week of November 2021|
|Corrections starts in exam city, gender, category, etc.||2nd week of November 2021 to 1st week of December 2021|
|Form correction for exam paper||Last week of November 2021 to 1st week of December 2021|
|Last chance to rectify defects||1st week of December 2021|
|Releasing of Admit Card||1st week of January 2022|
|Date of GATE examination||5th, 6th, 12th and 13th February 2022|
|Publication of GATE response sheet||2nd week of February 2022|
|Release of GATE question papers||3rd week of February 2022|
|Availability of official answer keys||3rd week of February 2022|
|Objection in answer key can be done from||4th week of February 2022|
|Final answer key||2nd week of March 2022|
|Declaration of result||3rd week of March 2022|
|Downloading of scorecard||3rd week of March 2022|
GATE 2022 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria in order to apply for the GATE 2022 examination.
- Candidate should be a citizen of India. However, aspirants from other countries can also apply if they meet the rest of the eligibility criteria.
- There is no provision for the upper and lower age limits.
- The candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology (B.E/ B.Tech) or a relevant Postgraduate degree (M.Sc.) in a science subject.
- Please note that there is no minimum marks requirement in the qualifying examination.
|Qualifying degree/ Examination||Eligible candidates||Qualification year not later than|
|Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./ Diploma in Engineering/ Technology)||Studying in the final year or already completed||2023|
|Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)||Studying in the final year or already completed||2023|
|Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Studying in the 4th year or already completed||2023|
|Pharm. D. (after 10+2) – 6 years program, consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year||Studying in the 4th/ 5th/ 6th year or already completed||2023|
|Master’s degree in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Studying in the final year or already completed||2023|
|Post – B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 years program)||Studying in the 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th or already completed||2024|
|Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/ Technology (5 years program)||Studying in the 4th/ 5th year or already completed||2023|
|Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S. – M.S. program||Currently studying the final year or already completed||2023|
|B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/ UPSC/ AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||Not applicable|
GATE 2022 Application Form
The application form for GATE 2022 will release in online mode only. Those interested candidates who want to apply need to fill and submit the application form through the official website. Check out the following steps in order to apply only.
- First of all, aspirants have to register by providing basic details like name, email ID, and mobile number.
- Next, candidates need to login by entering their credentials generated at the time of registration.
- In the next step, aspirants are required to provide their completed educational, personal, and contact details in the application form.
- Along with the details, candidates are also required to upload the scanned images of their photograph, signature, and category certificate (if applicable).
- It is also necessary to pay the application fee along with the application form. Otherwise, the application form will not be considered.
- It is recommended to take a printout of the application form submitted for future requirements.
The application fee is different for the candidates of various categories as given below.
- Male candidates of General and OBC Candidates: Rs. 1500/- (Rs. 2000/- during the extended period)
- SC/ ST/ PwD and Women candidates of all categories: Rs. 750/- (Rs. 1250/- during the extended period)
- Students choosing Dubai and Singapore as exam centres: US $ 108 (US $ 120)
- Students choosing Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu as exam centres: US $ 50 (US $ 70)
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
Those candidates who are looking to appear for the examination must check the exam pattern given below.
- Mode of examination: Online (Computer-based Test)
- Type of questions: Objective type multiple choice questions
- Number of questions: 65
- Language of the test: English only
- Duration of the exam: 3 hours
- Maximum Marks: 100 marks
- Marking Scheme: -1/3 for 1 mark question, and -2/3 for 2 marks question
Trade wise distribution of questions and marks
|Subject Paper||Number of 1 marks questions||Number of 2 marks questions|
|GA (Compulsory for all candidates)||5||5|
|ST, BM, AE, AG, AR, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, PH, PI, PE, TF||25||30|
|GG (Geology and Geophysics)||Part A – 25||Part B – 30|
XE Paper (Engineering Science) Paper –
- Sections – 3 (GA, Engineering, Mathematics and XE sections B to H)
- Selective Sections – Any two from B to H
- Compulsory Sections – GA and Engineering Mathematics
|Section||Type of question||Number of questions||Sub-total (marks)|
|Section A (Compulsory)||1 Mark Questions||7||7|
|2 mark question||4||8|
|Section B to H (Any 2 section)||1 mark question||9||9|
|2 marks questions||13||26|
XL Paper (Life Science) Paper
- Sections – 3 (General Awareness, Chemistry, and XE Sections B to H)
- Selective questions – Any two from section Q to U
- Compulsory sections – GA and Chemistry
|Section||Type of question||Number of questions||Sub-total (marks)|
|Chemistry Section or Section P (compulsory)||1 mark questions||5||5|
|2 mark questions||10||20|
|Sections Q to U (Any 2 section)||1 mark questions||10||10|
|2 marks questions||10||20|
GATE 2022 Subject code and paper
The subject papers along with their codes are as follows.
- GA – General Aptitude
- BM – Biomedical Engineering
- ST – Statistics
- AE – Aerospace Engineering
- AG – Agricultural Engineering
- AR – Architecture and Planning
- BT – Biotechnology
- CE – Civil Engineering
- CH – Chemical Engineering
- CS – Computer Science and Information Technology
- CY – Chemistry
- EC – Electronics and Communication Engineering
- EE – Electrical Engineering
- EY – Ecology and Evolution
- GG – Geology and Geophysics
- IN – Instrumentation Engineering
- MA – Mathematics
- ME – Mechanical Engineering
- MN – Mining Engineering
- MT – Metallurgical Engineering
- PH – Physics
- PI – Production and Industrial Engineering
- PE – Petroleum Engineering
- TF – Textile Engineering and Fibre Science
- XE – A: Engineering Mathematics, B: Fluid Mechanics, C: Materials Science, D: Solid Mechanics, E: Thermodynamics, F: Polymer Science and Engineering, G: Food Technology, H: Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
- XL – P: Chemistry, Q: Biochemistry, R: Botany, S: Microbiology, T: Zoology, U: Food Technology
GATE 2022 Syllabus
GATE 2022 syllabus depends upon the papers you are going to attempt. Still, you may checkout the syllabus for the common papers as given below.
- Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning and verbal deduction.
- Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation.
Aspirants may refer to the original notification in order to check the syllabus of the rest of the papers.
GATE 2022 Admit Card
- The admit card for GATE 2022 will release in online mode only through the official website.
- It order to check the result, candidates have to provide their roll numbers and other registration details.
- The information related to the date, time, and venue of the examination will be mentioned on the admit card.
- All the candidates must carry a hard copy of the admit card at the examination center.
- Along with the admit card, it is also compulsory for the aspirants to carry a photo ID proof at the time of the examination.
GATE 2022 Answer Key
- After conducting the examination, the authorities will release the answer keys in the form of a PDF file.
- Please note that the official answer keys will be released after a few days of the exam. However, memory-based answer keys will be available on the exam date.
- Candidates will also get the facility to challenge the answer keys if they are not satisfied with the same.
- The GATE result will be prepared only on the basis of the final answer keys.
GATE 2022 Result
- The result of the GATE 2022 examination will be published in online mode only through the official website.
- To check the result, aspirants have to enter their login ID and Password.
- The Gate scorecard will contain the marks secured by the candidates and qualifying marks.
- The GATE score will remain valid for the time period of three years.
GATE 2022 Cut Off
- The cut off marks are the marks a candidate need to score in order to clear the GATE examination.
- Please note that only those candidates who will score more than cut off marks will be able to download their GATE score card.
- The cut off marks will be decided based on the normalization method.
GATE 2022 Counselling
- After the declaration of result, a centralized counselling for M.Tech/ M.Arch./ M.Plan will take place via CCMT.
- The aim of this counselling will be to select the candidates for admission to PG courses in NITs and various other central and state government-funded institutes.
- Please note that aspirants have to register separately in order to participate in the counselling.
- In the counselling process, candidates have to provide the choice of institute in which they want to study.
- The admission will be finalized only after the verification of documents and payment of admission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: What will be the cut off GATE 2022 examination?
Answer: The cut off will be decided after the examination. However, for your reference, we are providing the cut-off of the previous year i.e. GATE 2022 as given below.
|GATE Subject||General||OBC||SC/ ST|
Question – 2: Can I get a job based on my GATE score?
Answer: Yes, there are many PSUs which recruits candidates based on their GATE scores.- HPCL, BHEL, Power Grid, NHPC, NTPC, BPCL, NPCC, CEL, IOCL, NLC, GAIL, NFL, Vizag Steel, MECL.
Question – 3: Can you name the IITs and IISc that will offer admissions based on the GATE score?
Answer: The following IITs and IISc will accept GATE scores in order to provide admission.
- IIT Mandi (IITMandi)
- IIT (BHU) Varanasi (IIT BHU)
- IIT Palakkad (IITPKD)
- IIT Tirupati (IITTP)
- IIT Roorkee (IITR)
- IIT Ropar (IITRPR)
- IIT Bhubaneswar (IITBBS)
- IIT Gandhinagar (IITGN)
- IIT Hyderabad (IITH)
- IIT Jodhpur (IITJ)
- IIT Patna (IIT)
- IIT Indore (IIT
- IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (IIT ISM)
- IIT Bhilai (IITBH)
- IIT Goa (IITGOA)
- IIT Jammu (IITJM)
- IIT Dharwad (IITDH)
- IISc Bangalore
- IIT Kharagpur (IITKGP)
- IIT Bombay (IITB)
- IIT Madras (IITM)
- IIT Kanpur (IITK)
- IIT Delhi (IITD)
- IIT Guwahati (IITG)
Question – 4: Is it possible to apply for the GATE 2022 examination in offline mode?
Answer: No, the application form will release in online mode only.
Question – 5: What if I don’t want to take the GATE examination after submitting the application fee. Can I get my application fee back?
Answer: No, the application fee once submitted will not be refunded.