Nowadays, students look to opt for unique courses after 12th class. Programs like B.E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering provide perfect options for them. This branch of engineering lets students learn about details related to the extraction and processing of oil and gas. In this post, we will discuss the details of the institutes offering courses in Petroleum Engineering: Also the details like Petroleum Engineering Job scope, Subjects fields that included in Petroleum Engineering and Remuneration for the candidate who passed out the Petroleum Engineering Course. This Description will be helpful for the candidates who are looking for a Career in Petroleum Engineering.
Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
The Petroleum Engineering is the field of engineering that deals with the study of Hydrocarbons production and refining study of Crude oil and natural Gas. Principally, the duty of Petroleum Engineer is to recover the Petroleum and Associate Products by the application of Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics and Geology. On the basis of the type of service they provide, the Petroleum Engineers are divided into three: (a) Reservoir Engineers- who monitors the substance extraction, (b) Drilling Engineers- who specialized in which kind of tool to use to get Mines and resources (c) Production Engineers – responsible for all the aspects in Production activities.
On the basis of the type of service they provide, the Petroleum Engineers are divided into three: (a) Reservoir Engineers- who monitors the substance extraction, (b) Drilling Engineers- who specialized in which kind of tool to use to get Mines and resources (c) Production Engineers – responsible for all the aspects in Production activities.
B.E./ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering – Course Overview
The basic overview of the B.E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering is given in the table below. It is one of the courses after 12th.
|Level of the course||Graduation|
|Duration of the exam||4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Candidates must have passed 10+2 examination with science stream|
|Specialization under this course||Petroleum Upstream Engineering and Petroleum downstream Engineering|
|Entrance Examination||JEE Main and UPESEAT|
|Admission Criteria||10+2 marks or entrance examination|
|Average tuition fee||3 Lac to 4 lac rupees for 4 years|
|Average Salary Package at the entry level||2.5 lac to 4 lac per annum|
|Top companies||Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd (HOEC), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL), Essar Oil, Gujarat Gas Co Ltd (GGCL), GAIL (India) Ltd, Petronet LNG Ltd, etc.|
B.E./ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering Eligibility Criteria
It is very important for all the candidates to make sure that they are eligible before filling the application form. Given below is the common eligibility criteria for this course applicable for admission to many colleges.
- The candidates must have passed the class 10th and 12th examinations with a minimum of 60% marks.
- It is also necessary for a candidate to clear the class 12th examination in any stream with the following subjects – Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Students from SC/ ST category will get a relaxation of 5% marks in aggregate.
Entrance Examination for B.Tech/ B.E. in Petroleum Engineering
There is a handful of engineering entrance exam 2021 that offers admission to this branch of engineering. The entrance exams for which you can apply are as follows.
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main: This entrance examination is conducted by the national testing agency (NTA) in order to select the deserving candidates. It is a very famous entrance examination accepted by a lot of colleges in order to provide admission.
- JEE Advanced Examination: Those who will clear the JEE Main examination will be allowed to take the JEE Advanced examination. Through this entrance exam, candidates can get admission to IITs.
- UPESEAT Entrance Examination: This entrance exam will be conducted by the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun. The application form for this entrance exam will release in online mode. Please note that this institute also offers admission on the basis of class 10+2 merit. However, in order to get admission on the basis of merit, it is necessary for a candidate to have at least 80% aggregate marks at the higher & Senior Secondary level (10th & 12th) exam. Also, it is compulsory to have a minimum of 80% aggregate marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics at senior secondary level (12th class).
Petroleum engineering as a career
The course was officially started by American Institute of Mining, and Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers (AIME) in 1914. One year later, the University of Pittsburgh has started the course. Soon after, many other universities started the Bachelor as well as Masters degree Course in Chemical Engineering. The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is the one professional society formed for the Petroleum Engineers, which releases
The Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is the professional society formed for the Petroleum Engineers, which releases the latest news on Petroleum Engineering. The Organization also serves as a recruitment organization to hire petroleum Engineers. In India, there are many Private as well as Autonomous educational Institutions Offering Courses in Chemical Engineering. Here is a list of best colleges in India offering courses in Chemical Engineering.
Salary Expectation after B.E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering
Though the job of petroleum Engineer is Risky, it ensures comparatively High salary than other fields. Petroleum Engineers working on Rigs can get high salary than working on Land. In India, a fresher level Petroleum Engineer can get the salary ranging from Rs.20, 000 to 25,000 per month. This might vary according to the Type of Project they handle and the work place. The work zones of the Petroleum Engineers usually contend with High Pressure and High Temperature (HTHP) work Locations.
Best Colleges in Indian for Petroleum Engineering
|Name of the college||Official Website|
|Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Mumbai||http://www.iitb.ac.in/|
|Indian School of Mines University(ISM), Dhanbad||www.iitism.ac.in/|
|University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun||http://www.upes.ac.in/|
|Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU), Gandhinagar||http://www.pdpu.ac.in/|
|Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT), Pune||http://www.mitpune.com/|
|M. S Engineering College, Bangalore||http://www.msec.ac.in/|
|L.D College Of Engineering, Ahmedabad||http://ldce.ac.in/|
|G.H Patel College Of Engineering, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Anand, Gujarat||http://www.gcet.ac.in/|
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati||http://www.iitg.ac.in/|
|Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology (RGIPT), Uttar Pradesh||http://www.rgipt.ac.in/|
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: Can I get admission on the basis of class 10+2 merit?
Answer: Yes, there are some institutes which offer admission on the basis of class 12th merit.
Question – 2: In which companies can I get a job after completing B.E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering?
Answer: A candidate can get a job in any of the following companies =
- Gujarat Gas Co Ltd (GGCL)
- GAIL (India) Ltd
- Petronet LNG Ltd
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL)
- Hindustan Oil Exploration Company Ltd (HOEC)
- Essar Oil
Question – 3: Which private colleges in India offer B. Tech/ B.E. admission in Petroleum Engineering?
Answer: Some of the private colleges offering admission into B.Tech/ B.E in Petroleum engineering are as follows.
- Amity University Noida
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Hyderabad
- KL University, Guntur
- Vignan’s Foundation for Science, Technology, and Research
- Graphic Era University, School of Engineering and Technology, Dehradun
- NIMS University, Jaipur
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhi Nagar
- MIT World Peace University, Pune
- DIT University, Dehradun
- Presidency University, Bangalore
- Uttaranchal University, Dehradun
Question – 4: Is B.E/ B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering is a good career option for girls?
Answer: Of course, if you have the right skill set you can get a good job regardless of your gender.