This content description is about the Company Secretary profession, admission notification, eligibility criteria, salary of a Company Secretary and the list of best Company Secretary institutes in India offering admission. Read the full story to know more about Company Secretary Admission 2023 and how can you make your career in this domain.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Company Secretary
Company Secretary has emerged as one of the most demanding courses as the demand for a Company Secretary professional is present in almost every organization. A Company Secretary deals with the legal activities of any business, manages administration and ensures statutory and regulatory compliance. There are three levels of this course and after completing all these levels, certificate in Company Secretary is awarded. In this post, basic details about the Company Secretary course, job aspects, salary structure, etc have been discussed.
Company Secretary Course Overview
Check out a basic overview of the Company Secretary course below.
|Course level||Professional level course|
|Course duration||Foundation Course – 8 months
Intermediate/ Executive Course – 9 months
Final/ Professional Course – 15 months
|Minimum eligibility||A pass in class 12th exam is required for foundation level course.|
|Job area||Financial Management Firms, Departments of Company Affairs, Company Law Boards, Banks, Stock Exchange Corporate Advisory Services, Financial Institutions, Stock Exchanges, Company Secretary Ship Consultancy Firms|
|Job position||Corporate Planner, Contents Coordinator, Corporate Policymaker, Assistance to the Board of Directors, Legal Advisor, Managing Director, Company Registrar, Administrative Assistant, Chairman, Chief Administrative Officer, Investor Capital Market Relations, Principal Secretary, Administrative Secretary|
Stages of Company Secretary Course
The students who want to get a certification in Company Secretary will have to undergo three stages of this course after 12th.
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
For candidates who want to go for this course after graduation, Foundation programme is not mandatory for them.
Subjects for Company Secretary Course
The following subjects are included in the Company Secretary course:
Foundation Programme [4 papers]
- Business Environment and Law
- Business Management, Ethics & Entrepreneurship
- Business Economics
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Auditing
Executive Programme [8 papers]
Module I (4 papers)
- Jurisprudence, Interpretation & General Laws
- Company Law
- Setting Up of Business Entities and Closure
- Tax Laws
Module II (4 papers)
- Corporate & Management Accounting
- Securities Laws & Capital Markets
- Economic, Business and Commercial Laws
- Financial and Strategic Management
- Advanced Company Law and Practice
- Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management and Due Diligence
- Corporate Restructuring, Valuation and Insolvency
- Information Technology and Systems Audit
- Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
- Ethics, Governance and Sustainability
- Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
- Drafting, Appearances and Pleadings
Electives 1 out of below 5 subjects
- Banking Law and Practice
- Capital, Commodity and Money Market
- Insurance Law and Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice
- International Business-Laws and Practices
- Governance, Risk Management, Compliances and Ethics
- Advanced Tax Laws
- Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances
- Secretarial Audit
- Corporate Restructuring
- Resolution of Corporate Disputes
- Corporate Funding & Listings in Stock Exchanges
- Multidisciplinary Case Studies
Electives 1 Out of Below 8 Subjects
- Banking Law and Practice
- Insurance Law and Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights– Laws and Practices
- Forensic Audit
- Direct Tax Law & Practice
- Labor Laws & Practice
- Valuations & Business Modelling
- Insolvency – Law and Practice
The eligibility criteria for appearing in the Company Secretary exam are given below:
- Foundation Programme: A pass in class 12th exam from any stream from a recognized board is required.
- Executive Programme: Candidates with either a graduation degree or with a Foundation level certificate are eligible for Executive Programme.
- Professional Programme: A certificate in Executive Programme is required to be eligible for Professional Programme.
- Foundation Programme: For exam conducted in the month of December, the candidates can fill the application form in March. For June exam, the last date for application submission is in September.
- Executive Programme: For appearing in both modules in December, the last date for application submission is February and for June exam, it is in the month of August. For appearing in single module in December, the last date to submit the application form is in May and for exam in June, the submission date is November.
- Professional Programme: After completing their Executive level program, the candidates can fill and submit the application form for Professional Programme.
Career in Company Secretary
Job perspectives and salary range for a Company Secretary professional. Candidates with a certification in Company Secretary can work on profiles like Managing Director, Legal Advisor, Company Registrar, Corporate Planner, Principal Secretary, Corporate Policymaker, Chairman, Chief Administrative Officer.
Expected Salary of Company Secretary
Depending on the sector that the candidate joins after completing the Company Secretary course and the experience he/ she holds, the average salary varies from 3 lac per annum to 6 lac per annum. Starting salary of a fresher level candidate starts with Rs. 3 lac per annum. With experience in the field, the salary can go as high as Rs. 11-12 lac per annum.
Best Colleges in India offering Company Secretary Course
Below here, we have provided the list of best institutes in India offering Company Secretary course:
|Name of the institute||Official website|
|The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)||www.icsi.edu|
|Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh||www.amu.ac.in|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad||www.jntuh.ac.in|
|Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai||www.nmcollege.in|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya (DAVV), Indore||www.dauniv.ac.in|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi||www.ignou.ac.in|
Question 1: Upon completion of the course, what kind of trainings do I have to undergo?
Answer: The candidates need to undergo the following training programmes after completion of CS course- Computer Training, Student Induction Programme, Executive Development Programme, Long Terms Internship with specified entities, Professional Development Programme, Training with specialized agency and Management Skills Orientation Programme.
Question 2: What is the medium of instruction for appearing in CS examination?
Answer: The students can appear in CS examination in English as well as in Hindi medium (except business communication subject of foundation program).
Question 3: I have done my class 12th from Arts stream. Can I apply for Company Secretary course?
Answer: Candidates from all stream, except Fine Arts are eligible to apply for and pursue Company Secretary course.
Question 4: What are the pre-requisite skills and knowledge for Company Secretary course?
Answer: Candidates should have knowledge of legal aspects of accounting, taxation, auditing, business law, finance law, etc and obviously excellent written & oral communication skills.
Question 5: Can you name some top recruiters of Company Secretary professional?
Answer: Tata Steel, Robert Bosch India, IDFC Mutual Fund, Future Group, Cauvery Power Generation Chennai, GMR Group, IBS Software, etc are some of the top recruiters that hire profession with Company Secretary course.