Nursing is a Health Care based profession specialized about the caring of Individuals. The services of nurses are necessary in hospitals, Day care centers, industries, old-age homes and educational institutions. Unlike from other professions, nursing is known as the female-dominated profession. A study on male-female ratio of nursing staffs did by a European University found that- Male: Female ratio is 1:19 in Canada and the United States. The same survey also disclosed that a male nurse’s average pay per year in United States is $60,700 whereas the annual pay scale of a female nurse is $51,100.
India is next to the United States and Canada in terms of producing nurses. There are numerous nursing institutes across India that can give high-end training to the aspirants. The Indian Nursing Council, an Autonomous Body under the Government of India’s Ministry of Health & Family Welfare department is responsible for giving affiliation to various eligible nursing institutes in India. The nursing institutes across India are offering courses mainly in Diploma In General Nursing, B.S.C Nursing and M.S.C Nursing.
It’s clear that around 70% of students from India are enrolling in nursing programs with an ultimate aim of working in abroad. On every year there are lots of Indian candidates are recruiting to abroad with lucrative salary packages. The regions like Middle East, Ireland, Russia, etc are the some zones where Indian nurses are usually recruited.
For Bachelor’s level nursing (B.S.C Nursing), a pass in Class 12 from science stream with 50% to 60% marks is enough and for Master’s level Nursing (M.S.C Nursing), a pass in graduation in relevant discipline with 50% marks. Nursing course includes subjects such as- Anatomy and physiology, Drug classifications and use, Human development, Medical ethics, Pathophysiology and Health Assessment, etc.
One who specialized in Nursing can work in following domains-
- Assistant Nursing Superintendent/Department Supervisor.
- Military Nurse
- Industrial Nurse
- Nursing Supervisor or Ward Sister
- Director of Nursing
- Staff Nurse – Offers direct patient care to one person or a team of individuals.
- Community Health Nurse (CHN)
- Nursing Superintendent
- Nursing Service overseas
- Faculty in Nursing
As like every other profession the Salary of Nurse in India is depending on factors including work experience, job responsibilities, type of organization, career achievements, etc. According to Pay Scale, a Registered Nurse (RN) in India will get average salary of Rs 188,769 per year and 3-4 years experienced nurses will get salary around Rs 4, 58,270 pa.
List of Top Nursing Institutes in India
- Name of the Institute: AIIMS – (All India Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Name of the Institute: CMC Vellore
- Name of the Institute: Banaras Hindu University
- Name of the Institute: NTR University of Health Sciences
- Name of the Institute: Dr NTR University of Health Sciences Vijayawada
- Name of the Institute: Nitte University Mangalore
- Name of the Institute: Tata Memorial Centre Mumbai
- Name of the Institute: National Institute of Nursing PGI Chandigarh