CAT 2021: To select the candidates for admissions into the different IIMs across the country, CAT 2021 will be conducted. Admissions will be granted into Post Graduate Programmes in Management (PGP) and Fellow Programmes in Management (FPM) offered by the IIMs. The exam will be conducted at a national level by any of the IIMs hopefully in the month of November 2021. Score of CAT are also considered by different management schools for selecting candidates for admissions into MBA programmes. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree in any discipline can submit their application for CAT in online mode.
CAT 2021 Exam Highlights
- The candidates can apply for different programmes through a single registration form.
- Registration fee is also to be paid only once, irrespective of the number of institutes the candidate is applying for.
- Application process will be completely online and the exam will also be conducted online only.
- Candidates must maintain provide a valid and unique email account and a mobile phone number during the registration process.
- The applicants can either fill their registration form in one go or in multiple sessions as per their choice.
- Mere qualifying the test does not guarantee selection into IIMs. Different criteria may also be considered for admissions.
CAT 2021 Important Dates
Below given are the tentative dates related to CAT 2021:
|Official notification release date||Last week of July 2021|
|Availability of online application form||2nd week of August 2021|
|Last date for submitting the online form||3rd week of September 2021|
|Admit card release date||4th week of October 2021|
|Date of Common Admission Test||4th week of November 2021|
|Result announcement||2nd week of January 2022|
Check: Best books for CAT exam
Exam Exam Pattern
The CAT 2020 exam pattern is given below as:
- Mode of exam: Online
- Duration of exam: 3 hours
- Number of questions: 100
- Total marks: 300
- Type of questions: Objective type (MCQ) and Type In The Answer (non-MCQ) type
- Marking scheme: Each question will carry 3 marks.
- Negative marking:
- MCQ type questions: 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
- Non-MCQ type questions: No negative marking
|Topics||No. of questions||Maximum marks||Duration|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)||34||102||60 minutes|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||96||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||34||102||60 minutes|
The details of the CAT 2021 syllabus are given below:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC): Reading Comprehension, Paragraph Summary, Paragraph Completion, Cloze Test, Fill in the blanks, Error Spotting, Sentence Correction, Para Jumbles and Word Usage
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR): Charts, Tables, Graphs, Venn Diagram, Syllogism, Arguments, Coding & Decoding, Data Sufficiency, Binary Logic, Course of Action, Logical Sequence, Clocks & Calendars, Blood Relations, Seating Arrangement, etc
- Quantitative Ability (QA): Linear & Quadratic Equations, Logarithm, Average, Simple Interest & Compound Interest, Mixture & Alligation, Mensuration, Lines, and Angles, Coordinate Geometry, Mean, Median and Mode, Trigonometry, Probability, Permutation, and Combination, etc.
Check: Tips to prepare for exam
CAT 2021 Application Form
The candidates can obtain the application form for CAT 2021 from the official CAT website. The form will be released only in online mode in the month of August 2021 (tentatively). The candidates who complete their CAT registration 2021 in time will be able to appear for the test.
- In the application form, candidates’ basic personal, educational, professional and contact details will be asked.
- The candidates will also have to upload important documents such as photograph, signature, caste and disability certificate in scanned format.
- Applicants will also be allowed to provide the choice for test city and programme in which they wish to appear in the form.
- After providing complete details in the application form, it can be submitted along with the application fee.
- It is advised to keep a hard copy of the submitted application form and fee payment receipt in case of future reference.
- There is no need to send any hard copy of any document to the CAT office.
- The candidates can pay the application fee in online mode using their credit card, debit card, net banking, Paytm wallet and cash card and wallet.
- Application fee will be Rs. 1900/- for General/ OBC candidates and Rs. 950/- for SC/ ST/ PWD category candidates.
CAT Eligibility Criteria
Candidates fulfilling the below-mentioned criteria are eligible to apply for CAT 2021:
- The candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks (45% in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PWD category) or an equivalent qualification from a recognized university/ institute.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) examination or those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply.
- Those who have completed professional degree (CA/ CS/ ICWA) with least 50% marks (45% in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PWD category) are also eligible.
- The admit card to appear in the test will be made available on the official website.
- Candidates will be able to download their admit card using their registration number and password.
- A printout of the admit card should be taken and carried to the exam center or else the candidates will not be allowed to enter the exam hall.
- The applicants must also carry a valid identity proof along with the admit card.
- Venue and schedule of the test will be communicated to the candidates via admit card.
- Admit card must not be damaged or mutilated under any circumstances otherwise it will not be considered as valid.
- The result of the online exam will be declared tentatively in the month of January 2021.
- Result will be announced on the official website and an intimation regarding the same will be given to the candidates through email/ SMS.
- Candidates who qualify the test will be able to download their score card from the website.
- Those clearing the test will then be eligible for interview round or other selection process as applicable.
- Admission procedure including eligibility and cut-off will vary from IIM to IIM.
- The selected candidates might have to Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) & Personal Interviews (PI) depending on the institute they are shortlisted for.
- IIMs may also use previous academic performance of the candidates, relevant work experience and other similar inputs in shortlisting of candidates at various stages.
- Final admissions will be granted to the candidates after they successfully clear all the rounds as applicable.
- Admissions to other business schools will be granted as per their specific rules and criteria.