Pharmacy is one of the popular career options for science students. Both diploma and degree courses are available in this field. The admission is offered on the basis of entrance exams as well as based on the class 12th merit list. In this post, we are providing complete details related to the Pharmacy Admission 2022–2023.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Pharmacy
Very simply, Pharmacy is defined as the science about preparation and dispensing drugs. In General English, the pharmacist is known as Chemists or druggists. At the beginning of 6th Century BC, an Indian sage namely Suśruta made an Ayurvedic medical prop known as ‘Sushruta Samhita’ Further years after that, researchers from Egypt, China, Japan, and Latin American countries started researching on pharmacy, and later they come up with advanced-level drugs to cure various diseases including contagious disease.
The first pharmacy store for the General public was first started in 1241 Europe during the ruling time of Frederic II. Now, across the globe, there are too many pharmacy shops are working under the guidance of an apex body of that province. Last year, the global growth of the Pharmacy industry was 21.1% which is 5% higher than the previous year’s status tracked last year this time.
Based on the type of job, pharmacists are divided into three parts
- Community pharmacist: A pharmacist who working in a General Medicine supplying shop.
- Hospital Pharmacist: A pharmacist who is working in a dispensary of a hospital, where he supplying medicines to the needed ones on the basis of the instructions suggested by a doctor/ head of the department.
- Industry Pharmacist: A pharmacist who is working in pharmaceutical industry as a production supervisor, a researcher is commonly known as Industrial Pharmacist. The remuneration of the Industrial pharmacist is comparatively higher than the pharmacist working in a dispensary.
- Pharm Course overview
Interested candidates can get a basic overview of the B.Pharma course by checking information given in the table below.
|Level of the course||Graduation level course|
|Duration of the course||4 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam from science stream|
|Admission criteria||Based on class 12th merit or entrance exam|
|Average course fee||Rs. 50000/- to Rs. 200000/- per annum|
|Average salary package||Rs. 2.5 lac to Rs. 4 lac per annum|
|Most popular job positions||Clinical Research Associate, Drug inspector, Medical Writer, Pharmaceutical Scientist, Formulation Development Associate, etc.|
|Top Recruiters||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Divis Laboratories Ltd., Biocon Ltd., Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Aurobindo Pharma Ltd., Cipla Ltd., Dr. Reddys Laboratories Ltd.|
Pharmacy as Education
‘B-Pharma or Bachelor of Pharmacy’ is the basic course for candidates who wish to become a pharmacist. Candidate who are enrolling in the B-Pharma course have to study subjects like microbiology, pharmacognosy, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, pharmacy law, physiology, compounding of medications, nephrology and drug delivery. In India, the Pharmacy council of India is the organizer of B. Pharm course. It is a four-year program and the exam is conducting annually once in a year. Candidates who passed in HSE or equivalent and studied science subjects with a minimum of 50% marks are eligible to appear for the program.
“PCI as a pharmacy educationist regulatory body has realized the need to strengthen and upgrade the pharmacy curriculum to produce competent pharmacist workforce which is able to meet the growing demands of the industry and community”-Said PCI in a Statement.
Below, we are showing you a list of leading Pharmacy Institutes that are affiliated with Pharmacy Council of India (PCI)
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Amity University, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Pharmacy Course Admission 2022
Both Degree and Diploma courses after 12th are available in the field of pharmacy. The eligibility criteria for both the courses are as follows.
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 examinations with English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Mathematics subjects.
- The age of a candidate should be more than 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission.
- The lateral entry admission is given into the third semester of B. Pharmacy course to those students who have a diploma in pharmacy.
- Aspirants must have cleared 10+2 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- Candidates must have at least 50% marks in aggregate.
Pharmacy Entrance Examination 2022
Given below is the list of popular Pharmacy entrance exam 2022 to be conducted in order to select candidates for admission to various pharmacy colleges in India.
- CG PPHT
- RUHS Pharmacy Entrance Exam
- Karnataka M.Pharma & Pharma D
- Jharkhand Paramedical
- BHU M.Pharm (Ay)
- West Bengal Post Graduate Entrance Test (WB PGET)
- West Bengal Joint Entrance for Lateral Entry (JELET)
- West Bengal CEE AMPAI Masters
- TS EAMCET
- PU CET
- NIPER JEE
- MHT CET
- KAHER AIET
- GJUST ENtrance Exam
- GITAM GAT
- GU Vishwavidyalaya Entrance Test (VET)
- DAVV CET
- BVP CET
- BCECE LE
- Banasthali Vidyapith Aptitude Test
- AP PGECET
- AP EAMCET
Salary of a Pharmacist
According to the report of pay scale, the average paid salary of a 20-year experience pharmacist is Rs 191,342 per year in the year 2014. The report also says ‘This pay scale can be altered if the candidate has good skills and the position in he/she served in the past company.’ Meanwhile, the salary of a fresher level pharmacist may get around Rs. 2.5 la to Rs. 3.00 Lac.
The candidates who were completed Bachelor’s in Pharmacy (B.Pharm) can find a career in the following domains –
- Pharmacist prescriber
- Industrial pharmacist
- Academic pharmacist (Instructor)
- Consultant pharmacist
- Drug information pharmacist
- Managed care pharmacist
- Veterinary pharmacist
- Research officer
- Medical Representative
Top Eight Pharmacy Institutes in India
- Name of the college: AR College and GH Patel Instt of Pharmacy, Vallabh Vidyanagar
- Website: http://www.arghpharmacy.ac.in
- Name of the College: Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Pharmacy, Navi Mumbai
- Website: copmumbai.bharatividyapeeth.edu
- Name of the Institute: BK Mody Government Pharmacy College, Rajkot
- Website: http://www.bkmgpc.com
- Name of the institute: College of Pharmaceutical Science, Thiruvananthapuram
- Website: http://copsmctvm.tripod.com
- Name Of the institute: College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Andhra University
- Website: http://www.andhrauniversity.edu.in
- Name Of the institute: College of Pharmaceutical Science, Mohud, Berhampur
- Website: http://www.cpsmohuda.org
- Name Of the institute: Department of Pharmacy, Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Website: http://annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
- Name Of the institute: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Dibrugarh
- Website: http://www.dibru.ac.in
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: I haven’t studied Biology in class 12th. Am I eligible for B. Pharm course?
Answer: Yes, if you have studied chemistry, physics, and mathematics subjects in the class 12th exam then you are eligible.
Question – 2: Is it possible to get admission in D.Pharm without an entrance exam?
Answer: Yes, there are many colleges that offer admission based on class 10+2 merit list.
Question – 3: Can you please name some of the top pharmacy colleges in India?
Answer: Some of the top colleges in India to pursue pharmacy courses are as follows.
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS)
- Institute of Chemical Technology
- Panjab University
- Jamia Hamdard University
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
- Amrita School of Pharmacy
- Annamalai University
- JSS College of Pharmacy
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Poona College of Pharmacy
- Banasthali Vidyapith
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology
Question – 4: Is it necessary to clear the NEET exam in order to get admission B.Pharma?
Answer: No, NEET is not required for admission to B.Pharma.