UPSC Engineering Service Exam 2024 or UPSC ESE 2024 is a recruitment exam to be conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for selecting the candidates for Indian Engineering services. The exam will be conducted for 4 branches of engineering only i.e. Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics & Telecommunications. The selected candidates will be posted in various departments of central government like Railway, CPWD, CWC, Ordinance Factories, MES etc.
The application form for UPSC ESE 2024 is going to be released on 6th September 2023 and mode of application will be online. In this post, we will discuss all the necessary details regarding the UPSC ESE 2024 exam including important dates, eligibility criteria, application form, exam pattern, syllabus etc.
UPSC ESE application form 2024 will release on September 6, 2023.
UPSC ESE 2024 Exam Dates
|Exam Name||UPSC ESE 2024|
|Full Form||UPSC Engineering Service Examination|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Application date||6th September 2023|
UPSC ESE 2024 Exam Dates
The official dates for UPSC ESE 2024 exam are given in the table below. The exact schedule has been updated on this post according to official notification.
|Release of official notification||6th September 2023|
|Starting of online application form submission||6th September 2023|
|Last date to submit application form||26th September 2023|
|Admit card for Preliminary exam||Will to be notified by UPSC|
|Date of preliminary exam||18th February 2024|
|Declaration of preliminary exam result||Will to be notified by UPSC|
|Date of Main exam||23rd June 2024|
|Declaration of Main exam result||Will to be notified by UPSC|
UPSC ESE Eligibility Criteria 2024
In order to apply for the UPSC ESE 2024 exam, the candidates need to fulfill the eligibility criteria given below:
The following candidates are eligible to apply
- A citizen of India
- A subject of Bhutan
- A subject of Nepal
- A Tibetan refugee coming to India before 1st January 1962 with an intention of permanently settling here.
- A person of Indian origin migrated to India from Burma, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, or east African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Zaire, Malawi, the United Republic of Tanzania or Vietnam with an intention of permanently settling here.
- The age of candidate should be between 21 to 30 years (relaxations will be given to the candidates from reserved categories)
- The candidates must have a degree in engineering from a recognized university.
- The candidates appeared in the degree exam but waiting for the result can also apply.
UPSC ESE 2024 Application Form
The application for UPSC ESE 2024 exam will be made available only in online mode through the official website of UPSC. The candidates have to provide all the necessary educational, contact and personal details in the application form. While filling the application form, the candidates have to choose the city of exam center and engineering discipline. In addition to the details, the candidates have to upload the scanned copies of passport size photographs and signature.
After submitting the application form, the applicants have to submit the application fee. There is no requirement to send the hard copy of application form to the UPSC office.
The application fee for different categories will be as follows:
- Male candidates from General and OBC categories: Rs. 200 /-
- Female/ ST/ SC/ PH candidates: Nil (Exempted from application fee)
Mode of payment
- The application fee can be paid in cash at any branch of SBI using a bank challan.
- The candidates can also pay the application fee online by using a Visa/Master Credit/Debit card.
UPSC ESE 2024 Exam Pattern
UPSC ESE 2024 exam will be conducted in three stages. A quick overview of the exam pattern is provided below:
- Preliminary Exam – 500 Marks
- Main Exam – 600 Marks
- Personality Test – 200 Marks
The pattern for UPSC ESE Preliminary Exam will be as follows:
|Paper – 1 (General Studies and Engineering Aptitude)||2 Hours||200|
|Paper – 2 (Engineering Discipline)||3 Hours||300|
The pattern for UPSC ESE Main Exam will be as follows:
|Paper – 1 (Engineering Discipline – I)||3 Hours||300|
|Paper – 2 (Engineering Discipline – II)||3 Hours||300|
- The preliminary exam will consist of only objective type MCQs having 4 options.
- There will be negative marking of 0.33 marks for an incorrect answer in Pre-exam.
- The main exam will be of a conventional type having questions from engineering discipline only.
UPSC ESE Syllabus 2024
The syllabus of UPSC ESE 2024 exam will depend upon the engineering discipline for which the candidate is looking to apply. However, the paper – 1 of preliminary exam will common for all the aspirants. The syllabus for Paper 1 (preliminary exam) is given below:
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Basics of Energy and Environment
- Information and Communication
- Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as e-governance and technology based education
- Ethics and values in Engineering profession
For detailed syllabus of every branch of engineering, the candidates may refer to the official notification.
How to prepare for UPSC ESE 2024?
UPSC ESE is one of the toughest exams of the country and the candidates need to prepare really well in order to clear the exam. Here, are some tips that can help the aspiring candidates to prepare for the UPSC ESE exam.
- You should prepare a topic for both objective and conventional paper. But to start with, you should focus more on objective questions as you will have ample time to prepare for the Main exam after clearing stage – 1 (Preliminary exam)
- Your concepts should be strong so that manipulation in a question cannot deceive you.
- Make short of important topics and formulas so that you can revise in a better way.
- Solve some previous question papers and mock test to be more used to the exam environment and identify your weaknesses.
- There is a lot of study material and test series are available online. You can take help from them to prepare yourself for the exam.
UPSC ESE 2024 Admit Card
The eligible candidates can download the admit card from the official website. The UPSC will issue the admit card 3 weeks prior to date of exam. Please note that the commission will not send any admit card by post. The details regarding the UPSC ESE exam date, time and venue will be mentioned on the admit card. No candidate will be allowed to appear for the exam without a valid admit card.
UPSC ESE Result 2024
The result of UPSC ESE 2024 exam will be announced on the official website of the commission. The candidates who will be declared successful in the pre exam will be allowed to take part in the main exam. Soon after the declaration of main exam result, the candidates need to submit the Detailed Application Form (DAF) online and upload the scanned copies of all the relevant documents. The original documents will be verified at the time of Personality Test. The admit card of the personality test will be upload on the official website after the declaration of UPSE ESE main exam result.
It will release on 6th of September 2023.
Three stages exam- Preliminary, Mains, and Personality test