UGC NET Exam Pattern 2019 will help the applicants in getting an understanding of the exam paper. The exam is conducted in the month of January and as such the preparation for the exam should be started right away. The first step that the applicants must take towards exam preparation is to get familiar with the UGC NET Exam Pattern 2019. The exam will be conducted in offline mode and the duration of the exam will be 3 hours. There will be two papers in the UGC NET and both the papers will be held on the same day in different sessions.
UGC NET Exam Pattern 2019
This is all about the UGC NET exam pattern. However, you do review the UGC NET syllabus for a successful preparation of the exam.
- Mode of exam: The exam will be conducted in offline mode and the candidates will have to mark their answer in the Optical Mark Reader (OMR) sheet.
- Number of papers: The test will be comprised of two papers, Paper I and Paper II. Both the papers will be compulsory.
- Questions type: All the questions in both the papers will only be of objective type.
- Duration of test: The duration of exam will be 3 hours.
- Total marks: The paper will consist of a total of 300 marks.
- of questions: A total of 150 questions will be asked in the paper.
- Marking scheme: Each question in both the papers will carry 2 marks and there will be no negative marking.
- Session of the exam: The paper I and paper II will be conducted in two different sessions: First session and second session respectively. The first session will be conducted for 1 hour (09:30 am to 10:30 am) and the second session will be conducted for 2 hours (11:00 am to 01:00 pm).
- Nature of questions:
- The paper I will consist of questions of general nature. Questions related to reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness will be asked to test the teaching/ research aptitude of the candidate.
- The questions in the paper II will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.
Paper-wise UGC NET Exam Pattern 2019
|Paper||No. of questions||Total marks||Duration|
|Paper I||50||100||1 hour|
|Paper II*||100||200||2 hours|
*Earlier there were 3 papers in the UGC NET examination. However, from the previous year, the paper II and paper III are combined as paper II only.
Time Schedule for UGC NET
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
|Entry in the exam hall||07.00 AM (IST)||10.45 AM (IST)|
|Distribution of test booklet||09.15 AM (IST)||10.50 AM (IST)|
|Breaking the seal of the test booklet to take out the answer sheet||09.25 AM (IST)||10.55 AM (IST)|
|Last entry in the exam hall||09.30 AM (IST)||11.00 AM (IST)|
|Commencement of test||09.30 AM (IST)||11.00 AM (IST)|
|Conclusion of test||10.30 AM (IST)||1.00 PM (IST)|
Instructions to fill the OMR Answer Sheet
In addition, to understand the UGC NET Exam Pattern 2019, some people may also find difficulty in filling their OMR answer sheet. The answer sheet will be sealed inside the test booklet and the candidates can open the test booklet only on the instruction of the invigilator. The serial number and the series of the test booklet must be matched with those of the OMR answer sheet.
Only blue/ black ball pen must be used to fill the answer sheet. The following particulars will be required to fill in the answer sheet:
- Roll Number
- Name of the candidate
- Father’s Name
- Centre Number
- Name of the Examination Centre
- Signature of the candidate
For each question, 4 alternatives will be given out of which only one will be correct. The candidates must mark their answer in the sheet by properly darkening the bubble using the blue/ black ball pen. The darkening of the bubble should be very clear and dark so that the optical scanner can read it correctly. Light colored bubbles or tick mark in the bubble will not be considered as a marked answer.
Any kind of rough work should be done on the test booklet and not on the answer sheet. Do not fold the answer sheet or make any kind of stray marks on it. Also, no change in the answer once marked will be allowed. Before leaving the exam hall, the candidates must submit the answer sheet to the invigilator and sign the attendance sheet as a proof of appearing in the exam. The test booklet is allowed to be carried by the candidates. Tampering the test booklet or answer sheet inside the exam hall may be punishable and the candidate doing the same will be dealt with as per law.