UGC NET 2023 is proposed to be conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) on behalf of the University Grants Commission (UGC). The candidates who clear the UGC NET 2023 will hold the eligibility for the post of Assistant Professor or Junior Research Fellowship & Assistant Professor both. The candidates who qualify for Junior Research Fellowship can pursue research in their postgraduate subject from IITs or other national organizations or can apply for the post of Assistant professor too. Those who wish to know about this exam in details can go through the following article.
UGC NET 2023 Important Highlights
- Candidates can only submit their application in online mode. Those not well-versed with the online process can use the services of Common Services Centre.
- The candidates will be able to provide their choice for NET subject in the application.
- Applicants are advised to select the subject of their postgraduation or a related subject for the same.
- Copy of confirmation page and fee payment receipt must be kept safe in case of further correspondence.
- Before filling the application, the candidates must ensure their eligibility to appear in the test.
UGC NET 2023 Dates
Check out the complete UGC NET 2023 schedule mentioned in the table. We have updated the schedule according to NTA calendar 2023:
|For June session||For December session|
|Online Application Form Available for UGC NET 2023||March 2023||1st week of September 2023|
|Last Date to Submit the Form||April 2023||Last week of September 2023|
|Last Date of Fee Submission||May 2023||1st week of October 2023|
|Corrections of Application Form||May 2023||2nd to 3rd week of October 2023|
|Admit Card Availability||May 2023||3rd week of November 2023|
|UGC NET 2023 Exam Date||June 2023||2nd to 4th week of December 2023|
|Declaration of result||July 2023||2nd week of January 2024|
Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET 2023
Those who wish to appear for UGC NET 2023 must follow the certain eligibility criteria:
- For Junior Research Fellowship, the maximum age limit is 30 years. There is no upper age limit for Assistant Professor.
- The candidates belonging to women/ SC/ ST/ OBC-NCL/ transgender/ PWD category will be provided a relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit. The candidates having research experience will also be eligible for relaxation in age depending on the time period they spent on research upto maximum 5 years. Candidates with LLM degree will be getting 3 years relaxation in age.
- The applicants must hold Masters’ or equivalent degree from the universities or institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science, etc.
- The marks scored by the candidates in the qualifying exam must be at least 55% (50% for SC/ ST/ OBC-Non Creamy Layer/ PH/ transgender candidates). Relaxation of 5% marks will be given to Ph.D degree holders whose master’s level examination had been completed by September 1991.
- The candidates who will be appearing in the final year exam of their Master’s degree in the year 2023 are also eligible.
- Candidates having postgraduate diploma/ certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/ diploma/ certificate awarded by the foreign University/ institute should ascertain the equivalence of their degree with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
Exemption from appearing in NET
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/ CSIR JRF examination prior to 1989 are exempted from appearing in NET.
- The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, and are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
- For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the State from where they have cleared their SET.
Eligibility for Assistant Professor and Fellowship
- The candidates who qualify for the award of JRF are eligible to pursue research in the subject of their postgraduation or in a related subject and are also eligible for Assistant Professor.
- Candidates qualifying for the award of JRF will be eligible to receive fellowship of UGC under various schemes, subject to their finding placement in universities/ IITs/ Institutions. The validity of the offer will be for three years from the date of issue of JRF Award Letter.
- The candidates who have joined M.Phil/ Ph.D, the date of commencement of Fellowship will be from the date of NET result declaration or date of their joining, whichever is later.
- The candidates qualifying exclusively for Assistant Professor will not be considered for fellowship award.
UGC NET Application Form 2023
The application for the UGC NET 2023 will be available on the official website ntanet.nic.in. The application form might release in March 2023. Aadhaar card is mandatory to apply for this exam. The candidates can fill the form by providing their personal and educational details. Scanned copies of photograph, signature, category certificate and eligibility certificate will also be uploaded in the application form. Choice for the center of exam and NET subject in which the candidate wish to appear will also be mentioned in the admit card. The duly filled application form will be submitted along with application fee. A printout of the application form and fee payment receipt should be kept by the candidates for future use.
The applicants can pay the fee either via debit card/ credit card/ net banking or through e-Challan generated while application form filling. The category-wise application fee structure for UGC NET 2023 is given below:
|GEN candidates||Rs. 800/-|
|OBC-NCL candidates||Rs. 400/-|
|SC/ ST/ PWD/ Transgender candidates||Rs. 200/-|
UGC NET Exam Pattern 2023
- UGC NET 2023 will be conducted in online mode (computer-based test or CBT).
- A total of 150 questions carrying 300 marks will be asked in the test.
- The total duration of the exam will be 3 hours with a break of 30 minutes (excluded).
- For each right answer, 2 marks will be awarded and there will be no negative marking. All the questions are compulsory.
|Paper||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|I||50 questions||100||1 hour|
|II||100 questions||200||2 hours|
|Total||150 questions||300||3 hours|
Nature of questions:
- Paper I will consist of questions to assess the teaching/ research aptitude, reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness.
- Paper II will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.
UGC NET Exam Syllabus 2023
There are more than 100 subjects included in NET. The syllabus for different subjects will be different which is prescribed by the UGC. UGC NET syllabus will cover the curriculum of the qualifying exam, i.e., master’s degree program. Candidates should restrict themselves to prepare for the exam according to the prescribed syllabus. It will actually help them to score well in the entrance exam.
UGC NET Preparation Tips 2023
The following are some simple tricks following which, the candidates can get a good score in UGC NET 2023:
- Gather the whole syllabus and study material at one place, before you start studying.
- Prepare self-made notes of the important topics as these notes are the most helpful when you revise the whole syllabus.
- Practice previous years’ papers on a regular basis.
- Keep yourself updated with the current affairs and general knowledge.
- Don’t forget to make a timetable for efficient time management during preparation.
UGC NET Admit Card
- All the aspirants who are willing to take UGC NET 2023 will be able to download the admit card from NTA website. The mode of the availability of admit card is online only.
- Candidates must bring the admit card along with a valid photo identity proof, one photograph and PWD certificate on the day of the exam.
- Date, time and venue of the exam will be intimated to the candidates through their admit card only.
- Those who find any difficulty in downloading their admit card must contact help centers immediately.
- Any discrepancy in the admit card should be communicated to the help centers.
- Before the UGC NET 2023 result is declared, the authority will release the answer key which will be displayed for around 3-5 days.
- With the help of answer key, the candidates will be able to calculate the marks they may get in the exam.
- The candidates will be given an opportunity to challenge the answer key online by paying Rs. 1000/- per question.
- Any changes made to the answer key will then be released on the official website.
- The recorded responses of all the candidates will also be displayed on the website of NTA before result declaration.
UGC NET Result
- The result of the eligibility test will be released online on the official website of the agency (NTA).
- Candidates scoring more than the specified cutoff will be declared as qualified and will be considered for the post of professor or for fellowship, as applicable.
- No request for re-evaluation or re-checking of the result will be entertained under any circumstances.