The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) will conduct SSC CGL 2020 examination for recruitment group “B” and group “C” posts in various departments of the government. The Combined graduate level examination is organized on an annual basis. Interested candidates need to apply for the SSC CGL exam to be eligible for recruitment in the mentioned posts. The exam is one of the most popular recruitment exams in the country.
Every year lakhs of aspirants take this exam but only a few get through it. Therefore, proper planning and preparation are required to crack the exam. Through this post, aspirants will get information on the application form, the exam pattern, syllabus, eligibility criteria, and other aspects of it in a simplified manner. To know such details on the SSC CGL 2020 Examination, candidates are suggested to go through the complete article.
SSC CGL 2020 Important Dates
Candidates can note down these tentative dates for SSC CGL 2020 for their exam preparation. The updated information will be published once the official notification is released by the authority.
|Application form availability||1st week of May 2020|
|Last date to fill the form||1st week of June 2020|
|Availability of Admit card for Tier-I||3rd week of July 2020|
|Tier-I Exam||4th week of July 2020 to 3rdweek of August 2020|
|Tier-I Result||Yet to be notified|
|Availability of Admit card for Tier-II||Yet to be notified|
|Tier-II Exam||Yet to be notified|
|Tier-II Result||Yet to be notified|
|Tier-III Exam||Yet to be notified|
|Tier-IV Exam (CPT/DEST)||Yet to be notified|
SSC CGL 2020 Exam Pattern
The SSC CGL 2020 Exam will be divided into the following Four Tiers –
Tier-I: The Tier-I exam will be a computer based exam. It will contain 100 questions of 200 marks. For every right answer, candidates will be granted +2 marks whereas; in case of wrong answer 0.5 marks will be deducted. Candidates will be given one hour (60 minutes) to finish the test. VH/OH candidates will get extra 20 minutes.
|Subject||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50|
Tier-II: This will also be a computer based exam where 120 minutes will be given to the candidates to finish the test. There will be 4 Papers and it is mandatory for the candidates to appear in Paper-I & II. Paper-III will be for candidates who want to apply for JSO post. Paper-IV will be for only those candidates who are shortlisted in Tier-I for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer.
|Paper||Subject||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|Paper-II||English Language & Comprehension||200||200|
|Paper-IV||General Studies (Finance and Economic)||100||200|
Tier-III: This will be a pen and paper based exam where subjective questions on essay writing/precise writing/letter writing/application writing will be asked. It will carry 100 Marks.
Tier-IV:This exam will be a skill based exam solely reserved for certain posts for example-
For the post of Tax Assistants (Central Excise & Income Tax) Data Entry Speed Test (DEST) at 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depression per hour on Computer will be required.
The “Data Entry Speed Test” Skill Test will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions for a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
The Computer Proficiency Test will comprise Word Processing, Spread Sheets and Generation of Slides.
SSC CGL 2020 Syllabus
Aspirants need to study for the exam as per the syllabus prescribed by the authority. For reference, candidates can check the syllabus mentioned below-
Syllabus for Tier I
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: Number series, non-verbal series, space visualization, spatial orientation, problem solving, analysis, decision making, etc.
- General Awareness: Questions relating to Environment, India and its neighboring countries, Indian History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research.
- Quantitative Aptitude:Simplification, Percentage, Averages, Interest, Ratio & Proportion, Square roots,Profit and Loss, Mixture and Allegation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Triangle, Quadrilaterals, etc.
- English Comprehension: Topics to test candidates’ ability to understand correct English, his/ her basic comprehension and writing ability, Grammar etc.
Syllabus for Tier II
- Quantitative Ability:Simplification, Percentage, Ratio & Proportion, Profit & Loss, Time & Work, Square roots, Averages, Interest, etc.
- English Language & Comprehension: Synonyms, antonyms, fill in the blanks, spelling/ detecting misspelled words, idioms & phrases, one word substitution etc.
- Statistics: Probability Theory, Statistical Inference, Central Tendency, Dispersion, Sampling Theory, etc.
- General Studies (Finance & Economics): Demand and Supply, Fundamental principles and basic concept of Accounting, Production and cost, Indian Economy, etc.
Preparation Strategies for SSC CGL Exam
Since the level of the competition increases every year for the SSC CGL 2020 Examination, candidates need to prepare for the exam whole-heartedly. The following preparations tips will help the candidates in qualifying the SSC CGL exam-
- Make a practical time table that can be followed easily. Don’t go overboard with the goals; divide the preparation time into smaller goals.
- Go through the syllabus and exam pattern to get an idea of the exam.
- Collect only a few books and study from them. Avoid collecting lengthy books just for the sake of the exam.
- Make smaller notes while preparing. These short notes will also be helpful during the revision.
- Solve previous year papers and give mock tests to watch your progress. Strengthen the weak areas (if needed).
- Maintain a good health. Avoid skipping meals.
- Read and analyze the newspapers every day.
- Take short breaks when you feel exhausted or bored with a particular topic. Start afresh.
Recommended Books for SSC CGL 2020
Given below are some of the noteworthy books for SSC CGL preparation-
- Quantitative Aptitude by R.S Aggarwal
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic by Arihant Publication
- Quicker Maths by M.Tyra (for beginners)
- Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by M.K Pandey
- Manorama Year Book 2020 for GK
- Lucent’s General Knowledge
- Objective General English by S.P Bakshi
- English Grammar by Wren & Martin
- Word Power Made Easy
SSC CGL 2020 Application Form
Candidates can apply for the SSC CGL 2020 only via online mode. To apply, candidates need to visit the official website of the SSC to fill the application form for the same. The details in the form must be filled carefully. Aspirants first need to register themselves before filling the application form (those who have previously given any of the exam conducted by SSC can use old registration ID and password to fill the form).Candidates will also need to upload the scanned photograph and signature while filling the form. They’ll also have to pay a requisite amount of application fee (except female candidates) to submit the form successfully. Applications received without the fee payment will be rejected.
Candidates need to pay Rs. 100/- payable through SBI Challan/ SBI Net Banking or by using Visa, MasterCard or Maestro Credit/ Debit card. The application fee is exempted for all Women candidates and candidates belonging to SC/ST and Ex-Servicemen eligible for reservation.
Eligibility Criteria for SSC CGL 2020
- Age Limit: Varies from post to post.
- For the post of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer: A candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- Note: Chartered Accountant/ Cost & Management Accountant/ Company Secretary and the candidates with Masters’ degree in Commerce/ Business Studies/ Business Administration (Finance)/ Business Economics can also apply.
- For the post of Junior Statistical Officer: A candidate must possess a bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized University/ Institute with at least 60% Marks in Mathematics in class 12th or a bachelor’s Degree in any subject with Statistics as one of the subjects at degree level.
- For other posts: A candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalentfrom a recognized University.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing in the final year are also eligible to apply for the exam. However, their degree must have been completed before 1st January 2020.
SSC CGL 2020 Admit card
The admit card can be downloaded from the official website of the Staff Selection Commission or regional websites of the same. For different tiers the admit card will differ. Only those candidates can download the hall tickets for successive tiers who have qualified the preceding tier. The admit card should be preserved till the recruitment process is over. Candidates are suggested to keep a printout of the admit card as without it the entry to the exam hall will be denied to them.
Result of SSC CGL 2020
The result of the SSC CGL Exam will be announced tier-wise. The final result will be based on the combined result of the tier-I, II and III respectively. Candidates can check their result from the official website by providing their name and roll number. The result will be displayed in form of a merit list. Candidates can check their score card from the official website which is usually provided by the authority within 15-20 days of the exam.
SSC CGL Selection Criteria 2020
On the basis of performance of a candidate in SSC CGL 2020 tier-I, tier-II and tier-III, a merit list will be prepared to shortlist the candidates further. The selected candidates will then have to take the Computer Proficiency Test (CPT) or Data Entry Skill Test (DEST) necessary for certain posts. Once a candidate qualifies these tests he/she will get the relevant appointment letter from the commission.