NDA 2020 will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruiting candidates for the National Defence Academy and Naval Academy. Candidates can apply for the exam through the official website of the UPSC. The examination is organized twice a year and the candidates are selected on the basis of the performance in the written test and SSB tests.
Candidates should make sure that they fit the eligibility requirements laid down by the authority for appearing in the exam. Only medically fit candidates will be finally selected as per the marks they’ve secured in written test and SSB interview. For more details on the NDA 2020 examination, continue reading the article.
Important Dates for UPSC NDA 2020
The tentative dates for the UPSC NDA 2020 exam are provided in the table. The official schedule will be updated here once the authority announces the same on its official website.
|Online application form releasing||3rd week of January 2020||1st week of June 2020|
|Last date to submit the form||1st week of February 2020||Last week of June 2020|
|Admit card releasing||1st week of April 2020||4th week of August 2020|
|Exam Date||4th week of April 2020||2nd week of September 2020|
|Result announcement||July 2020||December 2020|
|Interview date||August 2020- September 2020||January 2021 to April 2021|
|Final result declaration||Yet to be notified||Yet to be notified|
NDA 2020 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for NDA examination is as follows-
- Mode of Examination: Offline (pen and paper based exam)
- Total number of Papers: Two i.e. Paper-I and Paper-II
- Exam Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes for each paper code
- Exam Language: Hindi and English
- Type of Questions: Objective type (MCQs)
- Negative Marking: 33 (one-third) marks will be deducted for marking the wrong answer
|General Ability Test||600||2½ Hours|
Candidates need to prepare for the exam as per the curriculum prescribed for class 10th and 12th. Here are some of the important topics they must study-
Mathematics: Sets, Venn diagram, Quadratic equations, Complex numbers, Matrices and Determinants, Trigonometry, Analytical geometry of 2D and 3D objects, Differential calculus, Integral calculus and differential equations, Vector algebra, Statistics and Probability etc.
General Ability (English and G.K): Vocabulary, antonym/synonym, one-word substitution, sentence rearrangement, reading comprehension, Indian history, geography, science, polity, sports, awards, environment, current affairs etc.
Preparation Tips for NDA 2020
Candidates should follow the instructions/preparation tips given below in order to score good marks in the exam-
- Make a timetable and follow it regularly.
- Strictly prepare according to the syllabus stated by the authority.
- Stop daydreaming about clearing the exam and focus on the preparation part.
- Avoid social gathering like attending a wedding, visiting relatives.
- Keep yourself motivated by reading about previous year toppers and the hardships they’ve faced while preparing for the exam.
- Stay fit through exercise and recreational activities like playing football, badminton, cricket etc.
- Never start a fresh topic in the last week of the beginning of the exam. Rather revise the topics over and over again.
- Practice mathematics daily and solve mock tests/series to keep tabs on your performance.
Here are some of the notable reference books to excel in NDA examination-
- English: Book by S.P Bakshi, Norman Lewis and wren and martin.
- Mathematics: NCERTs, R.D Sharma and R.S Aggarwal.
- General knowledge: Lucent’s G.K and book by Arihant publication.
NDA 2020 Application Form
Candidates can apply for the exam via official website of the UPSC. The application form can be obtained from the web portal of UPSC. No other mode will be applicable to fill the application form. Candidates should keep their scanned photograph and signature handy. They must register themselves for the exam by providing their basic details such as email id, phone number, name, etc. After registration, applicants can proceed to fill rest of the application form.
The application form must be filed very carefully as once the form is submitted successfully, no changes will be made in the particulars. Aspirants also need to pay the application fee for the exam without which their applications will be rejected by the authority. They should take the printout of the application form for future use.
General and OBC category candidates need to pay Rs. 100/- as the application fee for the exam. SC/ST candidates and sons of NCOs/ JCOs/ ORs who are studying in Military School (formerly known as King George’s School)/ Sainik School run by Sainik Schools Society are exempted from paying the fee.
Mode of Payment: The application fee can be paid either through cash deposit in SBI bank or via credit card/net banking and debit card.
Eligibility Criteria for NDA 2020
Candidates must satisfy the necessary eligibility conditions to take the exam. These conditions are-
A candidate must be unmarried and must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Age Limit and Marital Status
- For NDA-I, candidates should have been born between 2nd July 2001 and 1st July 2004.
- For NDA-II, the age of candidates should fall between 2nd January 2002 and 1st January 2005.
- Only unmarried male candidates can apply.
For Air Force and Naval Wings of NDA and for 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at Indian Naval Academy: Candidates must have completed the class 12th with Physics, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects from a recognized board.
For Army wing: Candidates should have passed class 12th or its equivalent from a recognized board/university.
- Those appearing in the class 12th can also apply.
- Candidates who have failed INSB/PABT earlier cannot apply to Air Force.
NDA 2020 Admit Card
The admit card for the NDA examination will be available on the official website of UPSC. Candidates need to download their hall ticket and take a printout of it for future reference. The entry to the exam center will only be provided to those candidates who possess the admit card along with a valid ID proof. The admit card should not be damaged or mutilated under any circumstances.
Result and Selection
The result of the NDA 2020 will be declared by the authority on its official website. Candidates can check their result by login into the website. The selection will be done as per the marks obtained by the candidates in the exam and their performance in the interview. Following the interview, candidates will go through a thorough medical checkup where only the fit candidates will be selected for the service. They will be provided a provisional selection letter after they’ve cleared all the stages of the exam.