Uttarakhand is a beautiful hilly state in the northern part of India. There are 13 Districts in the state of Uttarkhand divided into two divisions i.e. Garhwal Division and Kumaon Division. As per the census of 2011, Haridwar is the largest district of Uttarakhand by population. It has a population of around 1.8 million people.
Although Haridwar is the largest district in the state by population but Dehradun is the largest district as far as urban population is concerned. In this article, we are providing complete details about Largest Districts of Uttarakhand by population as per the data of 2011 census.
District wise population of Uttarakhand
The districts wise population details are summarized in the following table.
|Udham Singh Nagar||1648902||1062142||586760|
Note: All the details mentioned in the table are based on the data recorded in the 2011 census.
As shown in the above mentioned table, Haridwar, Dehradun and Udham Singh Nagar are the three largest districts of Uttarakhand with having a population of over 1 Million each.
Largest Districts of Uttarakhand in Kumaon Division
- There are six districts in the Kumaon Division i.e. Almora, Bageshwar, Champawat, Nainital, Pithoragarh, and Udham Singh Nagar.
- Uttam Singh Nagar is the largest district in the Kumaon Division with the population of over 1.64 Million people as per 2011.
- Nainital and Almora are the 2nd and 3rd Largest Districts of Uttarakhand by population after Udham Singh Nagar.
- According to the Bagheshwar district of the Kumaon Division has an urban population of just 9079 people which is lowest in the state of Uttarakhand.
Largest Districts of Uttarakhand in Garhwal Division
- There are seven districts under Garhwal Division i.e. Haridwar, Dehradun, Garhwal, Tehri Garhwal, Chamoli, Uttarkashi and Rudraprayag.
- According to the census of the year 2011, population wise largest and second largest districts of Uttarakhand i.e. Haridwar and Dehradun lie in the Garhwal Division.
- Most of famous tourist destinations of Uttarakhand are located in Garhwal Division. This is the reason why the overall population and population density of districts under Garhwal division is more.
- Area wise largest district of Uttarkhand i.e. Uttarkashi is also located under this division.
Population Growth of Uttarakhand as per 2011 Census
- According to the census of 2011, Udham Singh Nagar shows the highest population growth in last decade i.e. 33.45%.
- Dehradun and Haridwar also show very high population growth in 2011 census with 32.33% and 30.63% respectively.
- Almora and Pauri Garhwal are the only two districts which show negative population growth of -1.28% and -1.41% respectively.
Population Demography of Uttarakhand as per 2011 Census
- Dehradun is the largest district of Uttarakhand as far as urban population is concerned. Dehradun has an urban population of over 9 million followed by Haridwar and Udham Singh Nagar.
- About 69.77% of the total population of Uttarakhand resides in the rural area.
- The census of 2011 also indicates that the gender ratio of Uttarakhand is 963 females per 1000 males.