The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) organizes a common recruitment process for the recruitment of clerks in participating banks under it on an annual basis. Candidates must apply for the IBPS clerk 2023 in order to appear in the exam. The exam will be conducted in two phases – pre and main. Aspirants need to qualify all the phases for the final selection.
To apply for the IBPS clerk 2023 examination, candidates must visit the official website of the same. They can fill the application form from the official web portal of IBPS. Only those candidates will appear for the main exam who has qualified the pre-exam by satisfying the minimum cutoff score decided by the authority. For complete details on the exam, keep reading the article.
Important Dates for IBPS Clerk 2023The tentative official exam dates for the IBPS Clerk 2023 exam can be referred from the table.
|Beginning of online registration||September 2023|
|Last date to register||September 2023|
|Call letters downloading (pre-exam)||November 2023|
|Pre-Exam date||December 2023|
|Result declaration of the Pre-exam||December 2023|
|Call letters downloading (main exam)||January 2024|
|Main-exam date||January 2024|
|Result announcement||February 2024/March 2024|
|Provisional allotment||April 2024|
The eligibility criteria for IBPS Clerk is given below-
A candidate must be either be-
- a citizen of India or
- a subject of Nepal or
- a subject of Bhutan or
- a Tibetan Refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India or
- a person of Indian origin permanently settled in India and has migrated from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Burma, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania (formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam.
Age Criteria: The age of the candidates should lie between 20 years and 28 years. However, candidates from reserve categories can claim relaxation in age.
Educational Qualification: A candidate must have done graduation in any discipline or its equivalent from a recognized university.
Computer Literacy: Candidates must know how to operate computer systems i.e. he/she should have Certificate/Diploma/Degree in computer operations/Language/ should have studied Computer / Information Technology as one of the subjects in the High School/College/Institute.
The exam pattern of the IBPS exam is as follows-
- Exam Mode: Online (Computer-based test)
- Exam Duration: 1 hour for preliminary exam and 160 minutes for main exam.
- Language: English and Hindi
- Type of Questions: Objective type (MCQs)
- Negative marking: 0.25 marks will be deducted for marking the wrong answer
SyllabusTo crack the preliminary exam, candidates must prepare from these subjects- English language, Numerical ability, and Reasoning ability. However, for the main, exam they must prepare General/Financial awareness, General English, Reasoning ability and computer aptitude, Quantitative aptitude. Here are the topics under the syllabus-
English Language: Reading comprehension, sentence errors, cloze test, fillers, vocabulary, jumbled paragraph, sentence rearrangement, sentence correction etc.
Quantitative Aptitude: Data interpretation, Inequalities, number series, time and work, average, simplification, boats and streams, pipes and cisterns, permutation and combination, problems of age, problems on train, mixture and allegation, approximation etc.
Reasoning: Data sufficiency, coding-decoding, blood relations, puzzles, syllogism, sitting arrangement, alphabetical series, ranking, direction sense, inequalities, machine input-output etc.
General/Financial Awareness: Name of banks and their chiefs, bank taglines, banking related schemes, RBI, government schemes, current affairs, sports, awards, books and authors, etc.
Computer Aptitude: History and generation of computers, computer hardware, languages, memory, computer organization, operating system, internet, MS office, DBMS, number system and conversions etc.
Preparation Tips for IBPS Clerk 2023Given below are some useful preparation tips for the aspirants with the help of which they can succeed in the exam-
- Always analyze the exam syllabus first and then make a practical study timetable accordingly.
- To build a strong English vocabulary, read English newspapers/magazine.
- Reading the newspaper and magazine will also help you keep in touch with the current affairs.
- Practice quantitative aptitude daily. The data interpretation part is usually the most scoring part, so practice it well.
- Solve online mock tests or buy a test series as per your convenience for practice.
- Study from reliable sources only. Don’t waste time on collecting books and only keep a few books for exam preparation.
Recommended BooksCandidates can note down the names of notable reference books for IBPS Clerk preparation-
General/Financial Awareness: Lucent’s General Knowledge, Pearson’s GK guide.
Reasoning: Verbal and non-verbal reasoning by R.S Aggarwal, Reasoning by magical book series.
Computer Aptitude: Computer knowledge by R. Pillai, book by Kiran publication.
English: Objective general English by R.S Aggarwal, Kiran publication, objective English by Arihant publication.
Quantitative aptitude: Quantitative aptitude by R.S Aggarwal, objective arithmetic by Arihant publication.