Civil Services Exam 2019: Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) official announces the notification for Civil Services Exam 2019 on 19th February 2019. All the candidates who have graduated from a recognized university or institute can apply for the Civil Services Exam 2019. Through the Civil Services Exam 2019, candidates can get deployed in various administrative and police departments as an IAS, IPS or IFS officer. There are stages of the examination viz., pre-exam and mains. The pre-exam is comprised of two objective questions papers and the mains will be comprised of the written questions papers along with the face to face interview.
Candidates can get all the necessary details of the Civil Services Exam 2019 application form, exam pattern, eligibility criteria and important dates here in this post.
Latest- The online application form for civil services exam 2019 (prelims) is available from 19th February 2019. Apply here for the exam.
Key points about UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019
|Name of Exam||Civil Services Exam|
|Conducting authority||Union Public Commission Services (UPSC)|
|Exam level||Central Level|
|Offered vacancies||IAS, IFS, IPS, and other groups A and B posts.|
|Exam mode||Offline mode|
|Stages||Stage-1: Preliminary Exam, Stage-2: Main Exam (Descriptive Type), Stage-3: Personal Interview|
|Type Of Questions||Objective type questions (in Preliminary Exam), and Descriptive Type (in Main Exam)|
|Exam Duration||2 hours (for each paper in Preliminary Stage) and 3 hours (for each paper in mains exam)|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor degree in any stream|
|Application mode||Online mode|
|Application fee||Rs 100 (unreserved category)|
|Exam Date||2nd June 2019 (prelims exam), 20th September 2019 (mains exam)|
Civil Services Exam 2019 Important Dates
The dates for Civil Services Exam have been given in the following table:
|Sl.No.||Name of the Events||Dates Assigned|
|1.||Release date of Civil Services Exam official notification||19th February 2019|
|2.||Date for Civil Services Prelims application form submission||19th February 2019|
|3.||Last date to submit the online application form (Prelims)||18th March 2019|
|4.||Civil Services Exam Admit Card 2019||To be Announced|
|5.||Civil Services Pre Examination date||2nd June 2019|
|6.||Announcement of the Result (Pre Exam)||To be Announced|
|7.||Date for the submission of detailed application form (DAF)||To be Announced|
|8.||Date of Civil Services Mains Exams||20th September 2019|
|9.||Result of the Exam (Mains)||To be Announced|
|10.||Date of Commencement of interview||To be Announced|
Eligibility Criteria for Civil Services Exam 2019
The Civil Services Eligibility criteria have been given in the following points:
- All Indian nationals are eligible to apply for the Civil Services Exam 2019.
- Candidate must have completed at least the Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University/Institution.
- The age of the candidates must be between 21 years and 32 years.
- Candidates of the reserved category will be given relaxation in the upper age. The age relaxation in the upper age will be 3 years for OBC and defense services personnel candidates and 5 years for the SC/ST/Ex-servicemen candidates.
Civil Services 2019 Exam Application Form: How to apply?
Candidates will be required to fill and submit the civil services exam Application Form 2019 as according to the details given below in the points:
- The civil services prelims application form will be available online on the official website of UPSC.
- Candidates need to fill the application form first for the IAS Preliminary Exam.
- Candidates, who qualify the pre-exam will have to fill the detailed application form (DAF) in the month of August/September 2019.
- Moreover, there will be an application fee of Rs. 100 for submitting the application form.
- Candidates of the reserved category will not be required to pay any application fee.
Civil Services Exam 2019 Pattern
Civil Services Exam 2019 will be comprised of two stages. The first stage of the exam will be the Civil Services Pre Exam. Candidates will have to take part in two tests in the Pre Exam which will be commenced on the same day in the morning and afternoon sessions. The Pre exam will be of 400 marks with the provision of negative marking conducted online. The Civil Services Main exam will be of subjective (written) nature which will have 4 General Study question papers, 2 question papers of the optional subject chosen by the candidates, question papers of language and 1 question paper of essay. After qualifying the Main exam, candidates will be invited to appear for the face to face interview. Read more
UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019 Syllabus
The UPSC civil services examination will be conducted in two stages i.e. preliminary examinations and the Mains examination. Candidates are advised to go through the Syllabus prescribed for the Preliminary Examination and the Main Examination in the official notification carefully. Below, we are providing the complete details about UPSC civil services exam 2019 syllabus for the reference of candidates:
Syllabus for preliminary examinations
Paper -I: General Studies
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Panchayati Raj, Political System, Rights Issues, Public Policy, etc
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography –Social, Physical, Economic geography of India and the World
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change (subject specialization do not require)
- Economic and Social Development –Poverty, Sustainable Development, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General Science
- Current Affairs: Events of national and international importance
Paper II Syllabus
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- General mental ability
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class 10th level).
- Decision making and problem-solving
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class 10th level), Data Interpretation (graphs, charts, data sufficiency, tables, etc. – Class 10th level)
- Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level. (will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation)
Preparation books for Civil services exam 2019
For Preliminary exam
- History of Modern India – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma. (History)
- Geography of India – Majid Husain (Geography)
- History of Medieval India – Satish Chandra
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S. Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey (CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- CSAT Paper – 2 Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant (CSAT – Paper 2)
Best reference Books for UPSC Civil services Mains Examination
- Norman Lowe OR History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur (World History – GS1)
- Essays for Civil Services – Pulkit Khare (Essay Paper)
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha (History – GS1)
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society – GS1)
- Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2 (Arihant Manual – GS2)
- Governance in India for CSE. (Governance – GS2)
- India and the World by Surendra Kumar. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- IAS Mains General Studies – GS3. (Arihant Manual – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- IAS Mains General Studies – Ethics. ( Arihant Manual – GS4)
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. ( Ethics – GS4)
Civil Services Exam 2019 Admit card
The admit card for UPSC civil services exam 2019 will be issued through online mode. The registered candidates will have to visit the official website of UPSC for downloading the admit card. The authority will release the civil services 2019 preliminary examination admit card first followed by the mains admit card. The admit card of civil services mains examination 2019 will be issued to those candidates only who qualified in pre-exam. Candidates should carry the admit card with them at the examination center to write in the exam.
Civil Services Exam 2019 Result
Candidates can check the UPSC civil services examination 2019 results on the official website. Most likely, the result of UPSC Civil Services preliminary examination will be announced in the month of August 2019 and mains examination result will be declared in the month of January 2020. Candidates can check their result online from the official website by entering their roll number, DOB or registration number.
IAS 2019 Selection Process
The selection process for UPSC Civil services exam will include following stages:
Stage-1: Preliminary Exam
Stage-2: Main Exam
Stage-3: Personal Interview
Please note down the final selection list will be made on the basis of scores obtained in mains exam scores & Interview round.