Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) annually organizes combined defence services examination two times a year to select the candidates for various defence services. Aspirants must apply for CDS 2020 examination to be eligible for recruitment into Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers Training Academy.
Before proceeding for the application form, candidates should ensure that they fit the eligibility requirements set by the authority for appearing in CDS 2020. The final selection of the candidates will depend upon their performance in the written test and SSB test. Only medically fit candidates will be considered for selection in different defence services. For more information, keep reading the article.
Important Dates for UPSC CDS 2020
The tentative exam dates for CDS 2020 are provided in the table given below. Candidates will get the updated information here once the authority announces the official schedule for the exam.
|Releasing of the online application form||2nd week of November 2019||2nd week of August 2020|
|Last date of form submission||1st week of December 2019||2nd week of September 2020|
|Online correction facility||November to December 2019||August-September 2020|
|Hall ticket releasing||3rd week of January 2020||Last week of October 2020|
|Exam date||1st week of February 2020||3rd week of November 2020|
|Result announcement||May 2020||December 2020|
CDS 2020 Exam Pattern
Candidates should make themselves familiarize with the exam pattern to know how it will be conducted. Here’s the exam pattern of the CDS examination-
- Exam Mode: Offline (pen and paper based exam)
- Exam Duration: 2 hours for each paper
- Exam Language: English and Hindi
- Type of questions: Objective type (MCQs)
- Marking Scheme:83 marks will be awarded for every correct answer in English & General Knowledge and for each right response in Elementary mathematics, 1 mark will be given.
- Negative Marking:33 (one-third) marks will be deducted for marking the wrong answer
CDS syllabus will be based on the curriculum prescribed for class 11th and 12th .The syllabus of UPSC CDS 2020 is as follows-
English: Antonym, Synonym, Reading Comprehension, Para Jumbles, Sentence Correction, Error Spotting, Fill in the Blanks.
Mathematics: Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Mensuration, Statistics and Probability, etc.
General Knowledge: Indian History, Geography, Polity, Economics, Environment, World Affairs, Sports, Awards, Culture etc.
Preparation Tips for CDS 2020
Here are some vital preparation tips for the aspirants through which they can score good marks in the UPSC CDS exam-
- Always start your preparation by reading NCERTs first.
- Make a practical timetable and follow it religiously. Work on your time management skills.
- Don’t waste time in daydreaming, on social media, on mobile phones, on attending weddings and stay away from relatives during the exam preparation.
- Revise the entire syllabus at least thrice. Solve mock tests for practice.
- Focus on the static part of general knowledge. Most of the time candidates put all of their efforts into preparing current affairs. However, the past year trends show that most of the paper includes static part of G.K only.
- Be confident and keep your attitude positive.
- Do not start learning a new topic from scratch. Use the last week to revise the topics you have already studied.
Candidates can prepare for the exam with the help of the notable reference books in order to clear the exam with flying colors-
- English: Work power made easy by Norman Lewis, and English grammar by S.P Bakshi.
- General Knowledge: Lucent’s G.K, General studies by Arihant publication and Indian Polity by Laxmikant.
- Mathematics:S Aggarwal and R.D Sharma.
CDS 2020 Application Form
To apply for the exam, candidates need to visit the official website of the UPSC. Aspirants can apply for the exam only via online mode and no other mode shall be considered by the authority. Before proceeding for the application form, candidates must register themselves by providing their name, parent’s name, DOB, email, mobile number etc.
After successful registration, aspirants can proceed to fill the other part of the application form where they need to specify the educational details, uploading of signature and photograph, fee payment etc. The particulars in the application form should be filled with extreme care. Without paying the necessary application fee (if applicable), the applications received by the authority will be rejected. Aspirants must take a printout of the form for future use.
General and OBC category candidates need to pay Rs. 200/- towards the application fee for the CDS exam. However, those belonging to SC/ST category need not pay the application fee. Female candidates are also exempted from paying the application fee.
Mode of Payment: The fee can either be paid in cash by visiting any branch of SBI or through net banking, credit card and debit card.
Eligibility Criteria for CDS 2020
The eligibility criteria laid down by UPSC for the CDS examination are as follows-
A candidate must be unmarried and must either be:
- a Citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Age limit, Sex and Marital status
|For IMA||A candidate must be an unmarried male and must not have born earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st January 2002.|
|For INA||Only unmarried male candidates who have not born earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st January 2002 can apply.|
|For Air Force Academy||The age of the candidates should lie between 20 years and 24 years as on 1st January 2021|
|For OTA (Men)||Male candidates, who are unmarried and have born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2002, can apply.|
|For OTA (Women)||Unmarried / issueless widows, who have been born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2002, can apply.|
|For IMA and OTA||Candidates should possess a degree in any discipline or its equivalent from a recognized university.|
|For INA||Candidates should hold a degree in engineering from a recognized university.|
|For Air Force Academy||Candidates should hold a degree in any discipline with physics and mathematics at 10+2 level.|
CDS 2020 Admit Card
Candidates will be issued the CDS exam admit card three weeks prior to the commencement of the exam. The admit card will be available to download on the official website of the UPSC. Candidates need to note that no hall ticket will be sent to them via post. They must download the admit card from the official portal and take the printout of the same for further reference. Without the admit card, no candidate will be permitted to take the exam. A valid ID proof is also needed to be brought along with the hall ticket.
Result and Selection
The result of the CDS 2020 will be announced on the official web portal of UPSC. Candidates will be selected based on the marks secured by them in the written exam, and performance in the SSB test. After clearing the SSB Test, candidates will undergo medical examination where the unfit candidates will be sent back and only those who are claimed fit by the medical officer in charge shall be given the provisional selection letter.