Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) 2024 is expected to be held in April 2024 to provide the interested candidates admissions into Ph.D/ Integrated Ph.D programme. The admissions to the selected candidates will be offered into the participating institutes.
Candidates can apply for the test in online mode starting from January 2024. The exam will be conducted in offline mode, i.e., OMR sheet. The complete details related to JEST 2024 such as exam dates, exam pattern, eligibility criteria, etc are shared in this article.
Table of Contents
JEST 2024 Schedule
The schedule shared below is tentative and will be updated after the release of its respective notification:
|Commencement of online registration||January 2024|
|Last date for submitting online application||February 2024|
|Release of admit card||March 2024|
|Date of screening test||April 2024
|Result declaration||May 2024|
JEST 2024 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEST 2024 are given as:
For Ph.D in Physics: The candidates who have done M.Sc in Physics will be considered eligible by all participating institute. Additionally, some institutes also accept BE/ B.Tech/ M.Sc/ ME/ M.Tech in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as per the details given below.
|IIA||M.Sc in Mathematics/ Applied Physics/ Applied Mathematics/ Optics and Photonics/ Instrumentation/ Electronics|
|IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER (Mohali, Pune and Thiruvananthapuram)||BE/ B.Tech|
|IUCAA||M.Sc in Physics/ Electronics/ Astronomy/ Applied Mathematics|
|IPR||M.Sc in Physics/ Engineering Physics/ Applied Physics|
|SNBNCBS||M.Sc in Physics/ Chemistry/ Applied Mathematics/ Biophysics/ Biochemistry|
|TIFR||B.Tech in Engineering Physics|
|NISER||ME/ M.Tech in Applied Physics|
Integrated M.Sc/ M.Tech-Ph.D Programme (Physics):
|SNBNCBS||B.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics)|
|IIA||B.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics)/ BE/ B.Tech in Electrical/ Instrumentation/ Engineering Physics/ Electronics and Communications/ Computer Science and Engineering/ Optics and Photonics|
|NISER||B.Sc (Physics) or BE/ B. Tech in Engineering Physics, with a minimum of first class marks|
|IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS||B.Sc (Physics)|
|Bose Institute||B.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics)/ B.E./ B.Tech|
- Ph.D in Computational Biology at IMSc: The candidates with M.Sc/ ME/ M.Tech / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems are eligible.
- Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc: The candidates with M.Sc/ ME/ M.Tech in Computer Science or related disciplines, with an interest in the mathematical aspects of computer science are eligible.
- Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc: The applicants who have done B.Sc/ BE/ B.Tech/ MCA in Computer Science or related disciplines and are interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science can apply.
- Ph.D in Neuroscience at NBRC: M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics) or BE/ B.Tech/ MCA in Computer Science are the accepted qualification.
- Integrated M.Tech-Ph.D Programme at IIA: Those with the Sc (Physics/ Applied Physics)/ Post B.Sc (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics/ Radio Physics and Electronics degree are eligible to apply.
- Integrated Ph.D Programme at IISER Thiruvananthapuram:Sc (Physics) or BE/ B. Tech in any discipline is required in order to be eligible.
- M.Sc Programme at HRI: The candidates who hold a B.Sc (Physics) or BE/ B.Tech degree in any discipline can apply.
JEST 2024 application form will release most probably in January month. The candidates will need a valid email id in order to register for the exam online. This email id must remain active until the final result is declared.
- On the home page of the official website, click on the ‘register to appear for the exam’.
- Using the email id and a created password, register yourself for the exam.
- After successful registration, login to the homepage using your email id and password.
- The application form will appear on the screen. Provide all the important personal and educational details as asked in the form. Scanned copies of photo and signature will also be uploaded.
- You can save and modify the form until the final submission.
- The candidates will also have to submit an application fee of Rs. 300/- (Rs. 150/- for SC/ ST candidates) using SBI Epay. Female applicants belonging to SC/ ST category do not need to pay the application fee.
Note: The application fee will only be refunded if the candidate has made the payment twice by mistake. In this case, the extra amount will only be refunded and not the complete application fee. Secondly, if the payment fails and the accounted is debited, the money will be returned. Refund will be considered only on bringing it to the notice of the coordinator of JEST 2024 by mail within 7 days of making such payment.
JEST 2024 Exam Pattern
The JEST 2024 exam pattern is given as:
- Mode of exam: Offline
- Type of questions: Objective type (except for Part B)
- Question paper language: English
- Duration of exam: 3 hours
|Parts||No. of questions||Marking scheme|
|Part A||15||+3 mark for each right answer
-1 mark for each wrong answer
|Part B||10||+3 mark for each right answer
No negative marking
|Part C||25||+1 mark for each right answer
-1/3 mark for each wrong answer
The syllabus for JEST 2024 exam is given below:
- Mathematical Methods: Vector Algebra And Vector Calculus, Tensors, Curvilinear Coordinate Systems, Linear Algebra, Linear Differential Equations, Elements Of Sturm–Liouville Theory, Special Functions, Complex Analysis, Fourier Series And Fourier Transforms, Laplace Transforms, Elementary Properties Of Discrete Groups, Elements Of Probability Theory, Error Analysis.
- Classical Mechanics: Newton’s Laws, Conservation Of Energy And Momentum, Collisions, Generalized Coordinates, Principle Of Least Action, Lagrangian And Hamiltonian Formulations Of Mechanics, Symmetry And Conservation Laws, Central Force Problem, Kepler Problem, Small Oscillations And Normal Modes, Special Relativity In Classical Mechanics.
- Electromagnetism & Optics: Electrostatics And Magnetostatics, Boundary Value Problems, Multi-pole Expansion, Fields In Conducting, Dielectric, Diamagnetic And Paramagnetic Media, Faraday’s Law And Time Varying Fields, Displacement Current, Maxwell’s Equations, Energy And Momentum Of Electromagnetic Fields, Propagation Of Plane Electromagnetic Waves, Reflection, Refraction, Electromagnetic Waves In Dispersive And Conducting Media, Diffraction, Interference, Polarization.
- Quantum Mechanics: Uncertainty Principle, Schrodinger Equation, Central Potentials, Hydrogen Atom, Orbital And Spin Angular Momenta, Addition Of Angular Momenta, Matrix Formulation Of Quantum Theory, Unitary Transformations, Hermitian Operators, Variational Principle, Time Independent Perturbation Theory, Time Dependent Perturbation Theory.
- Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics: Laws of Thermodynamics, Work and Heat, Thermodynamic Potentials, Elements of Kinetic Theory, Maxwell’s Relations, Statistical Ensembles, Partition Function, Classical Ideal Gas, Harmonic Oscillators, Classical And Quantum Statistics, Fermi And Bose Gases, Black Body Radiation, Statistics Of Paramagnetism
- Electronics: Basics of Semiconductor, P-N Junctions, Diodes, Transistors, LCR Circuits, Rectifiers, Amplifiers, Active Filters and Oscillators, Basics of Opamps and Their Applications, Basics of Digital Electronics.
JEST 2024 Admit Card
- The admit card will be available at the official website of JEST from March 2024.
- The candidates will have to download the admit card and take its printout to be carried to the exam center.
- One photo identity proof is also required to be brought to the exam center along with the admit card.
- No admit card will be sent to the candidates via post or email.
List of Exam Centres
Ahmedabad, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bardhaman, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Calicut, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nainital, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Roorkee, Sambalpur, Silchar, Siliguri, Srinagar, Trivandrum, Udaipur, Vishakhapatnam
Note: Calicut and Mangalore centers are subject to availability. Second option will be allotted if the centre is not available.
- The JEST 2024 result is expected to be released a few weeks after the commencement of exam.
- The score card will also be uploaded after the declaration of the result and can be downloaded on online mode.
- The JEST score card will be valid for one year.
When will JEST application form release?
What will be the mode of application?
What will be the mode of exam?
For Latest Updates Please Subscribe our Telegram Channel: Here