IIT JAM 2021 is a national-level exam to be conducted for admission to M.Sc, Joint M.Sc-Ph.D, M.Sc.-Ph.D dual degree, M.Sc.-MS, Ph.D. and other postgraduate degree courses. This exam is a gateway for admission to prestigious institutes like IITs, and NITs. IISc Bangalore will also consider IIT JAM 2021 score to select the candidates for its integrated Ph.D. Programmes. The application form for this exam has been released on 10th Sep 2020. Candidates having a bachelor degree with relevant subjects can apply. All the necessary details regarding IIT JAM 2021 are presented in the post below.
Latest- IIT JAM counselling process will commence from 15th April 2021.
IIT JAM answer key is now available. Check now
Candidates can make corrections in IIT JAM application in between 2nd Nov to 10th Nov 2020.
IIT JAM 2021 online registration has been commenced from 10th September 2020. Interested candidates need to check their eligibility before start applying online. IISc Bangalore is the concerned authority conducting IIT JAM 2021.
IIT JAM 2021 Important Details
- Total 7 papers are going to be conducted in the IIT JAM examination 2021. Aspirants have to attempt the papers as per their qualification.
- The complete application and examination process will take place in online mode only.
- A candidate can apply for two papers as well if eligible. However, an extra application fee needs to be paid in case of applying for multiple papers.
- It is a responsibility of the candidate to check the eligibility criteria before applying. The application fee is non-refundable.
- All the candidates have to submit a certificate of physical fitness issued by a registered medical practitioner at the time of admission.
- JAM 2021 will have seven Test Papers, namely, (i) Biotechnology (BT), (ii) Chemistry (CY), (iii) Economics (EN), (iv) Geology (GG), (v) Mathematics (MA), (vi) Mathematical Sciences (MS) and (vii) Physics (PH).
Economics (EN) paper is added newly this year.
IIT JAM 2021 Important Dates
|Starting of registration and online application form submission||10th September 2020|
|Last date for the submission of an application form|
|Downloading of Admit Card||2nd week of January 2021|
|Date of JAM 2021 examination||14th February 2021|
|Declaration of Result||20th March 2021|
|Submission to admission form on the basis of JAM result||15th to 28th April 2021|
|Publication of 1st list of admission||16th June 2021|
|2nd list of admission||1st July 2021|
|3rd and final list of admission||16th July 2021|
|Closure of admission procedure||20th July 2021|
IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates seeking admission through the IIT JAM 2021 exam should meet the eligibility criteria given below:
- The applicant must possess a bachelor’s degree with the relevant subject group.
- Additionally, the candidate also needs to have at least 55% marks in the qualifying degree exam. SC/ ST or PWD candidates require 50% marks only.
- Candidates going to appear for the qualifying degree exam can also apply. However, they have to submit a proof of clearing the qualifying exam with the required percentage by 30th September 2021.
IIT JAM Application Form
Candidates will be able to apply for admission through the JAM exam in online mode. In order to apply, the candidates have to submit IIT JAM Application Form 2021 through the official website of JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS).
- In the application forms, the candidates are required to enter all the details related to their education, contact information, etc.
- Apart from the details, the scanned images of the candidate’s photograph, signature, and category certificate are also needed to be uploaded in the application form.
- Applicants should ensure that they provide only the authentic details in an application form.
- After filling all the details, the candidates have to pay the necessary application fee.
- Finally, the applicants should take a printout of the application form submitted and keep it safe for future requirements.
IIT JAM application Fee 2021 for the candidates of different categories is given in the table below:
|For one paper only||For two papers|
|SC/ ST/ PWD and Female candidates of all categories||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2100/-|
Mode of Payment: An aspirant can pay the fee online using options like debit card, credit card or internet banking.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
The candidates going to appear for the IIT JAM 2021 should know the exam pattern given below:
- Mode of Exam: Online (Computer-based test)
- Number of Sections: 3 (Section – A, Section – B, and Section – C)
- Total number of Questions: 60
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours
- Type of Questions: Multiple choice questions (MCQ), Multiple select questions (MSQ) and Numerical answer type (NA)
- Marking Scheme: 40 questions will carry 2 marks each and 20 questions will carry 1 mark each.
- Negative marking: 1/3 of the marks assigned to a question will be deducted in case of a wrong answer.
Section-wise distribution of questions and marks
|Section||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Section – A||30 Multiple choice questions||50 marks|
|Section – B||10 Multiple select questions||20 marks|
|Section – C||20 Numerical answer type questions||30 marks|
|Total||60 Questions||100 Marks|
IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
The IIT JAM 2021 exam will take place for 7 different subjects. Syllabi for all 7 subjects are as follows:
Biological Science (BL): General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Mathematical Sciences, etc.
Biotechnology (BT): General Biology, Biochemistry and Physiology, Basic Biotechnology, Chemistry (10+2+3 level), Mathematics (10+2 level), and Physics (10+2 level)
Chemistry (CY): Basic Mathematical Concepts, Atomic and Molecular Structure, Theory of Gases, Solid state, Chemical Thermodynamics, Chemical and Phase Equilibria, Electrochemistry, Adsorption, Spectroscopy, Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications, organic chemistry, Qualitative Organic Analysis, Aromatic and Heterocyclic Chemistry, Periodic Table, etc.
Geology (GG): The planet earth, structural geology, paleontology, stratigraphy, mineralogy, petrology, economic geology.
Mathematics: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One Real Variable, Functions of Two or Three Real Variables, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, etc.
Mathematical Statistics (MS): Sequences and series, differential calculus, integral calculus, matrices, probability, random variables, standard distributions, joint distributions, limit theorems, estimation, testing of hypotheses.
Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, Solid State Physics, Devices, and Electronics, etc.
IIT JAM Admit Card
- IIT JAM Admit Card 2021 will bear all the information regarding the exam such as candidate’s name, registration number, photograph, signature, address of exam center, etc.
- Aspirants will be able to download the admit card from the official website of the institute that is going to conduct the exam.
- Institute will not send a copy of the admit card by post to any candidate.
- All the candidates have to carry their admit card with one photo id proof (in original) while appearing for the exam.
- Keep the admit card safe till the admission process gets over.
IIT JAM 2021 Result and admission
- After conducting the IIT JAM 2021 exam, the institute will declare the result in online mode through its official website.
- A result card will have the information about the section-wise marks secured by a candidate.
- In addition to the result, the organizing body will also release a merit list for the successful applicants.
- The admission will be provided on the basis of this merit list only.
- After the result declaration, the candidates have to fill out the admission form and provide their choice of institutes.
- Then, the authorities will release a list of candidates selected for final admission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Once the scrutiny is over, JOAPS portal will enable you editing data. Wait for the related notification to be announced. Some changes are restricted after paying the additional fees.
Ans: Chances are very less, the authority may allow under some exceptional circumstances. However, you will be asked to make a payment of ₹ 500/- online which is non-refundable in nature.
Ans: You are required to upload Class X Certificate as a single pdf file of file size 4 MB.
Ans: You need to upload Class XII Mark-sheet as well as the Certificate in a single pdf within a file size of 4 MB.
Candidates belonging to General category excluding foreigners are required to upload one of the following certificates:
- Birth Certificate
- Voter ID
- Aadhar Card
- First page of Passport
- Nationality Certificate issued by the authorized government agency
- School Transfer Certificate (TC) showing Nationality
Some of the invalid documents for nationality are: Ration Card, Mark-sheet, Bank Passbook, PAN Card, Driving License, School/ College ID etc.
Suppose you have not uploaded the nationality certificate while filling the application form then you can upload it to the Admitting Institute at the time of admission.
No, you don’t need to need to send hard copy to the concerned authority.