Delhi University annually organizes an entrance exam for admission in B.Ed course offered by it. Candidates interested in making a career in teaching field can apply now for DU B.Ed admission. Before applying for the exam, applicants must make sure that they fulfill the DU B.Ed eligibility criteria 2023 laid down by the University in order to take the test. The eligibility criteria correspond to the minimum basic requirements that must be possessed by the candidates. Ineligible candidates won’t be allowed to appear in the exam. Candidates can go through the post to ascertain their eligibility status for the exam.
Table of Contents
Institutes offering B.Ed programme in DU
The Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) is a full-time two-year programme that is offered by the Faculty of Education, University of Delhi at given four institutions-
- Department of Education (Central Institute of Education – CIE)
- Maharshi Valmiki College of Education (MVCE)
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji College for women (SPMC)*
- Lady Irwin College ( LIC)*
- * denotes the colleges that are exclusively for women candidates i.e. only women candidates can apply to LIC and SPMC.
- Applicants should note that LIC offers B.Ed course only with Home Science as a teaching subject.
- Department of Education (CIE) and Maharshi Valmiki College of Education (MVCE) are co-educational institutions. Hence, both male and female candidates can apply for these.
DU B.Ed eligibility criteria 2023
Candidates wishing to appear for DU B.Ed entrance exam can check the eligibility criteria from here-
Indian nationals who have done their graduation from any recognized Indian University can apply for the entrance exam. Foreign candidates who hold a graduation degree from any of the Indian Universities situated abroad can apply based on the merit and availability of seats.
Minimum qualifying marks
The minimum qualifying marks required from a candidate are divided into two categories-
- Category-I: Candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in science/ social science/ humanities/ commerce or its equivalent qualification and have secured minimum 50% marks in aggregate are eligible to apply.
- Category-II: Candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering or technology and specialization in Science and Mathematics or its equivalent qualification and have secured at least 55% aggregate marks are eligible to apply for the exam.
Subject and category-wise eligibility
- Applicants will be required to choose one subject category and only one subject in which they must have studied in their qualifying degree programme.
- The subject category chosen by the candidates will be taken into consideration while preparing the merit list and allocation of college.
- The subject selected by the applicants from the subject category table (given below) will be considered as the concerned teaching subject and remain same throughout the B.Ed programme.
- Home Science will only be offered by LIC for the candidates who have completed B.Sc in Home Science or M.Sc in Home Science or B.H.Sc from a recognized college/university.
- Psychology will only be offered in DOE (CIE) and SPMC.
- Sociology will be offered only in DOE (CIE).
- Punjabi and Urdu will only be offered in MVCE.
- Candidates who have done B.A/ M.A in Mathematics or B.Com (Pass/Hons.) with minimum 50% marks in aggregate can also opt for Mathematics as pedagogy 1 and 2 both. They only have to fill Science as their subject category.
- Candidates with a degree in Management/ Law and Agriculture cannot apply for B.Ed entrance exam.
|Subject category (Pedagogy 1)||Subject (Pedagogy 2)|
|Science||Biology, Chemistry, Integrated Science, Mathematics, and Physics|
|Language||English, Hindi and Sanskrit|
|Social Science||History, Geography, Economics, Political Science and Social Science|
|Other Subjects||Commerce, Psychology and Sociology|
|Other Languages||Punjabi and Urdu|
|Home Science||Home Science|
Important points on which subject/pedagogy to choose
Applicants applying on the basis of the following degree should choose the subject options stated below-
- UG Degree (B.A/ B.A pass with any social science subject) should choose Social Science as their subject category and pedagogy of Social Science as pedagogy 1 and 2.
- UG degree (B.Sc general/ program) with Science subjects should choose Science as their subject category and pedagogy of Science/ Mathematics as pedagogy 1 and Integrated Science/ Mathematics as pedagogy 2.
- B.Com graduates cannot opt for commerce, sociology, and psychology as a pedagogy subject. However, if at graduation level they have studied History/ Geography/ Political Science/ Economics or English/ Hindi/Sanskrit for at least 200 marks and obtained minimum 50% marks in that subject then they are eligible to apply to the B.Ed. programme. Such candidates need to fill Social Science/ Language as their Subject Category and Pedagogy of Social Science/ Language as their Pedagogy 1 option as well as Pedagogy 2. In case they have studied mathematics, then they should fill Science as their subject category and Mathematics as their pedagogy 1 and 2.
- B.Sc Hons. and B.A Hons. should fill Social Science as their Subject Category and Pedagogy of Science/Mathematics/ Social Science as their Pedagogy 1 option and pedagogy of Physics/ Chemistry/ Biology/ Mathematics/ History/ Geography/ Economics/ Political Science as their respective pedagogy 2 option.
- B.A Hons. with any of the language, subjects are required to fill Language as subject category and pedagogy of language as pedagogy 1 and English/ Hindi/ Sanskrit as their respective Pedagogy 2. Similarly, BA Hons. with Punjabi and Urdu should Other Languages as their subject category and pedagogy of Language as their pedagogy 1 option and pedagogy of Punjabi/Urdu as their respective pedagogy 2 option.
- M.Sc/M.A with Science/ Social Science/ Language subjects need to fill Science/ Social Science/ Language as their subject category and Science/ Mathematics/ Social Science/ Language as their pedagogy 1 option and pedagogy of Physics/ Chemistry/ Biology/ Mathematics/ History/ Geography/ Economics/ Political Science/ English/ Hindi/ Sanskrit as their respective pedagogy 2 option.
- Those opting for Sociology, Psychology and Commerce as teaching subjects should have done Master’s degree in the concerned discipline. Candidates with only a B.A/B.Com degree will not be considered for admission in these courses.
- B.A (Pass/ Hons.) in Sociology/ Psychology, who have studied History/ Geography/ Political Science/ Economics or English/ Hindi/Sanskrit for at least 200 marks and obtained minimum 50% marks need to fill in Social Sciences as their subject category and pedagogy of Social Science as their pedagogy 1 option as well as pedagogy 2 option.
- M.Com graduates need to fill in Other Subjects as their subject category and pedagogy of Commerce as their pedagogy 1 and 2.
- Those who have done BA/MA in Public Administration will be eligible under subject category Social Science.
Relaxations and concessions
- SC/ST candidates should have passed their concerned qualifying degree examination.
- OBC/ Children/ Widow/ Wives of Armed personnel, CW, PWD category candidates can claim 5% of relaxation in marks in the qualifying degree exam.
- No seats will be offered under sports/co-curricular activities for admission in B.Ed program offered by Delhi University.
Significance of eligibility criteria
The eligibility criteria hold a prominent place in deciding if a candidate can apply for the exam or not. DU B.Ed eligibility criteria signify the importance of the essential requirements needed from the applicants if they wish to appear in the B.Ed entrance exam. Those who do not fulfill these requirements won’t be allowed to appear for the exam. Hence, it is mandatory for the applicants to check their eligibility status before they proceed for the application form.