The Indian Institutes of Management will conduct the CAT 2019 (Common Admission Test 2019) for providing admission into Post Graduate Management and Fellow programmes of IIMs.
CAT score is also considered by the other prestigious institutions located across the country.
Before a potential candidate makes a decision to appear for CAT 2019, they must match their eligibility with the prescribed criteria.
If they find themselves eligible then they can participate in the CAT 2019 online registration process, which will commence most probably in the second week of August 2019.
The entrance test will be held in two sessions across various exam centers in India.
Below, we are providing crucial information about CAT Exam related to its application form, registration process, eligibility criteria, important dates, exam pattern, syllabus etc.
Key features of CAT 2019 Exam
|Name of the exam||Common Admission Test|
|Commonly known as||CAT|
|Organized by||Indian Institute of Management (IIM)|
|Exam level||National level|
|Courses offered||MBA/PGDM courses|
|Minimum eligibility||Graduation degree with at least 50% aggregate marks|
|Participating institutes||IIMs, FMS, IITs, ISB and other business schools|
|Release of official notification||July 2019|
|CAT 2019 Registration fee||Rs. 1800/- (General category)|
Rs 900/- (Reserved category)
|Exam date||December 2019|
|Mode of exam||Online (Computer-based test)|
|Examination duration||3 hours|
|Result announcement||January 2020|
CAT 2019 Important Dates
Below, we’ve listed the tentative CAT 2019 schedule which will give you a rough idea about the availability of its application form, admit card, result etc.
We’ll update all the mentioned dates soon after the announcement of its respective notification:
|Date of availability of CAT 2019 notification||Last week of July 2019|
|Online registration will begin from||Second week of August 2019|
|Online registration will end by||Third week of September 2019|
|Admit card will release by||Third week of October 2019|
|Examination date||Last week of November 2019|
|The authority will release the result by||2nd week of January 2020|
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2019
Candidates are strongly suggested to read the CAT eligibility criteria carefully before commencing the online registration process.
If you are not eligible in any means then your candidature will be cancelled by the authority at any point of time.
- Candidates should hold a bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized university/institution.
- If a candidate holds CA/CS/ICWA (professional degree) then he/she is also eligible to apply.
- Those in the final year of their bachelor’s degree programme can also apply. However, prior to admission, such candidates will have to submit a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of their University/institution (issued on or before the date as stipulated by the respective IIM) stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.
- They should have at least 50% marks (45% for SC/ST/PwD) in the qualifying degree.
- The marks obtained in grade/CGPA should be converted into percentage as per the procedure followed by the respective University/Institution. If no scheme is followed by the respective University/Institution, it will be converted by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100.
- There is no age limit for appearing in CAT 2019.
CAT Registration 2019
Provided below are the steps that need to be followed by candidates in order to register for CAT exam successfully:
- Candidates have to register for CAT 2019 in online mode through the official website of the concerned authority.
- CAT application form 2019 will be available tentatively in the month of August 2019.
- You need to finish the CAT registration formalities first for generating the login credentials.
- Login to your account and provide your personal, educational and other required details in the application form.
- Upload scanned copy of your signature, photograph and other necessary documents. A copy of the SC/ST/NC-OBC/PWD certificate(s) must be uploaded at the time of CAT Application registration.
- Make the payment of application fee in online mode by using the credit card/debit card/net banking.
- The application fee will be 1800/-for General/NC-OBC candidates and Rs.900/- for SC/ST/PwD).
- In addition to this, service and transaction charges will also be applicable that will be paid by the applicant.
- After all the above-mentioned steps are completed, the Candidates will get a confirmation email.
- The candidates who do not receive the confirmation email can contact the helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll free 1800 266 3549.
- Take a printout of your filled application form for future reference.
How to make corrections in CAT Application Form 2019?
- The authority will provide the correction facility in the CAT application.
- If applicants make mistakes while filling the online application form, they can correct it during the specified period of time given by the institute.
- Please note down, the candidate will be allowed to make corrections only in some selected particulars such as Percentage of marks scored, Programs selected, address, and work experience etc.
- To make a correction in the CAT Application form, candidates need to visit the official website of CAT and click on ‘Existing user’ button.
- Thereafter, enter your User Id and Password and make corrections in form wherever needed.
- Don’t forget to click on the save button to confirm the changes made in the form.
CAT 2019 Exam Pattern
Read here all about CAT exam pattern:
- CAT is a digital or Computer-based test (CBT).
- The duration of the exam will be 180 minutes.
- The exam will consist of multiple choice and subjective type questions.
- The total number of questions asked in the exam will be 100.
- For every correct answer, 3 marks will be awarded to the candidate.
- One mark will be deducted for every incorrect attempt for multiple choice questions. There will be no negative marking for questions other than MCQs.
Subject wise distribution of questions along with marks in each section is tabled below:
|Sections||Subjects||No. of Questions||Max. Marks||Time Allotted|
|Section I||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||34||102||60 minutes|
|Section II||Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32||96||60 minutes|
|Section III||Quantitative Ability||34||102||60 minutes|
CAT 2019 Syllabus
There will be no fixed syllabus for CAT 2019 exam.
The questions will be asked from four sections i.e. Quantitative Ability or Mathematics, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability & English and Logical Reasoning.
Candidates should practice different mock tests for understanding the syllabus of CAT exam.
Below we have mentioned the CAT Syllabus for all subjects based on the previous year exam pattern.
Verbal and Reading Comprehension: Verbal reasoning, analogies and reverse analogies, antonyms and synonyms, sentence correction, critical reasoning, facts inference judgments, fill in the blanks, summary questions, syllogism, passage-based questions
Data Interpretation: Venn diagram, Column and Bar graphs, Area graph, Line and Pie Charts, Caselets and Tables
Logical Reasoning: Number and letter series, Logical sequence, Coding-decoding, Syllogism, Directions, Clocks, calendars and cubes, Blood relations, Binary Logic, Matrix and linear arrangement
Quantitative Ability: Number system, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Permutation and Combination, Ratio & Proportion, Mixtures and Alligations, Logarithm, Functions, Time & Work, Coordinate Geometry and Mensuration
CAT 2019 Admit Card
- The candidates who have successfully registered themselves for CAT 2019 will be able to download their admit card.
- The admit card will most probably be available in the 3rd week of October 2019.
- The details of the exam center and certain basic details of candidates such as name, roll number, etc. will be printed on the admit card.
- The candidate must carry this admit card with them at the examination center.
CAT Exam Center 2019
- The CAT 2019 will be conducted in 140 different cities all across the country.
- The center for the exam will be allotted to the applicants based on the choices they had made during the application form filling.
- In case, the does not get any of the preferred cities, the eaxm conducting IIM will allot the nearby test city.
- The decision made will be final and no change in the exam center will be entertained.
CAT 2019 Cut Off
- The cut off for CAT 2019 will be published a few days after the completion of exam.
- Candidates can check the cutoff marks through online mode in the month of November 2019 tentatively.
- The cut off will be announced as per the sections, categories, & IIMs.
CAT Answer key
- The answer key of CAT 2019 Exam will be released in the month of December 2019 tentatively.
- Candidates can check the answer key only through online mode on the official website.
- With the help of answer key, candidates can cross check their responses given in the exam with the correct answers.
- The facility to challenge the answer key is also given by the officials.
CAT 2019 Result
- Most likely, the conducting body will announce the CAT 2019 result in the month of January 2020.
- Candidates can check and download their result by visiting the official website.
- The authority will also release the list of shortlisted candidates for the next level of selection on the website of the particular IIMs.
- The shortlisted candidates will also receive interview letters from respective IIMs.
- The criteria for shortlisting the candidates can different for different IIMs. Please note down the CAT scorecard will be valid for one year.
Seat Reservation in CAT 2019
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy layer) (OBC-NC)||27%|
|Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD) with 40% or more disability||5%|
CAT Score Normalization
The CAT 2019 will be conducted in two sessions.
In order to ensure the comparability of performance in both the sessions, the scores obtained in the exam goes through the normalization process.
The marks obtained through the normalization process are then converted into percentile for the purpose of shortlisting.
CAT 2019 Admission Procedure
- The conducting body will not organize any centralized counselling. Interview or call letters will be sent to the shortlisted candidates by each IIM.
- As per their own eligibility norms & admission criteria, the IIMs will be offering admissions into postgraduate management courses.
- The shortlisted candidates will have to appear in the Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) & Personal Interviews (PI) rounds.
- The final admission will be made on the basis of candidate’s previous academic record, relevant work experience & short-listing of candidates.
The following documents are required by the candidates at the time of interview:
- Mark sheets in original must be shown by the candidate in order to prove his/her eligibility. Attested copies of the same will also be submitted at that time.
- The candidates from reserved categories must show original category certificate and submit the photocopy at the time of interview.
- The applicants in the final-year of bachelors’ degree programme need to present an original certificate from the Principal/Registrar/Director of the university/institution certifying that the candidate has obtained 50% marks or equivalent (45% for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD category) based on latest available grades/marks. The attested copy of the same will be submitted at the time of interview.
The original copies of the all the above-mentioned documents will be submitted if the candidate is offered admission in any programme.
CAT Official Website: iimcat.ac.in